How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

mrhozer
Contributor
Contributor

This is a **bleep** Joke!!!!!!!

I just got charged $25 from my bank because paypal decided to withdrawl Ebay Fees (Which I have no control over the funding source) from my bank account which is currently at $0. 

Not only that, but they tried to withdrawl a 2nd time from the same empty savings account... So now I'm being charged ANOTHER $25!

Finally after **bleep**ing me out of $50 they finally decide to charge my credit card, which I WANT AS MY PRIMARY SOURCE ANYWAYS... All this to pay for $6 in ebay fees.

I GOT **bleep**ED OUT OF $50 TO PAY A $6 FEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!All because paypal refuses to allow it's customers to set their primary funding source!!!!!

I'm on the verge of dropping Paypal, AND Ebay! Amazon is looking like a far better company to do business with!

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Using Ebay is no longer what it was now that there are  these Paypal problems.

I paid $75 charges to my bank which I figure Paypal owes me.  We're just SOL.

You are right there are a lot of other alternatives and although I've wanted to make a few purchases I find myself reluctant to do so.  

Did you notice the advertising "Paypal can keep a secret."   They sure got that right!!!!.    They have Credit card usage front and center on all the eBay items but just try to use one. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi mrhozer,

When eBay fees are billed via PayPal, they are funded by the balance on the PayPal account. If there is an insufficient balance on your PayPal account, PayPal will use the primary funding source on file. PayPal never charges overdraft fees for an insufficient PayPal balance, but if your primary funding source is a bank and the bank account has insufficient funds, your bank may charge fees. It's important to keep track of your bill dates so you know when those charges are going to come through.

You do also have other options! You can pay your fees preemptively prior to the bill date, or you can add a credit card directly to your eBay account and have your fees billed that way.

It's never fun to get overdraft fees. I hope my information helps prepare you going forward, to prevent future loss and frustration.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SkipH
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia, is this new?  I have my credit card listed as primary source but if I have a balance in my Paypal account it will use that or  my bank to pay. It does not give me the option of my credit card. If I go back and transfer all my paypal money out then it will give me the credit card option.

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Well Olivia I'm really confused now.

An eBay account for paying?????

There was an eBay account system when I began years ago but it became unmanageable as eBay took over  Paypal..

It was very slowwwwww.

Has there been improvement or another set up?

Why don't you guys just admit that you don't want to use those credit cards you so nicely advertize front and centre of you web page items.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SkipH,

The default in a billing agreement is for the balance to be the primary funding, and for the bank to be the backup funding. There actually is a place to edit this, which I forgot about when I made my previous post.

If you go to Profile > My money > Preapproved payments > and edit the settings of your eBay billing agreement, you should be able to select your card as the backup funding source.

I apologize for missing this previously. It's been a long time since I looked at my own eBay selling billing agreement!

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SkipH
Contributor
Contributor

OK Olivia, I went to My Money and saw that I have a bussiness card listed first then my personal card and third the bank. I clicked to remove bank so you say it will now let me use the credit card as payment? As I said before if I have a balance in PayPal it wouldn't even give me the option of using a credit card, only the bank pay or instant transfer. If I drained my PayPal account then went back to pay my credit card was listed as an option. That is what everyone seems to be complaining about.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SkipH,

That's the way the process should work, If it is not working, please give CS a call or email and include those details. If there's a technical issue, it can be reported so our engineers can find and resolve it.

As a workaround, my original suggestion of adding your credit card in your eBay account should still work.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

tiger10012
New Community Member

Hello Olivia,

Where in the documentation does it state I need to keep my bank account on file in order to remain "verified". Isn't the entire verification process a secondary measure to verify my identify? You have successfully verified my identify. I told you the penny amounts deposited, and you got your official record stamp that I am me, and now I should be able to do what I want.

For all you listeners...Venders pick up on the "instant transfer" too. On the purchases which I forgot to change from bank to CC on the invoicing, the venders waited 24-48 hours to send my packages. On the CC (aka POS) transactions, my items were sent in as little as 2 hours from payment.

All this so you can save the 2.9% transaction charges on credit card purchases? That 2.9% is there so I have a secondary theft protection mechenasm! And also, it is not instant if it takes at least 1 business day to refect on my bank account. That is deceptive language. Purchases via my credit card show up as "pending" 1 second after I make the purchase; the "instant transfer" (same account, I have the cc option on my bank) does not show up on my account until the next day (sometimes 2-3 days).

So how about this scenario? Where in your documentation does it state that the bank account must remain active in order to remain "verified"? I am thinking about closing 1 of my bank accounts.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi tiger10012, and welcome to the forums!

The ability to confirm your ownership of the account relies on us being able to confirm your continued possession and control of financial credentials. Think of it like a Driver's Licence or State-issued ID. Either has to be current and not expired in order to be considered valid.

There is more information about maintaining Verified status in the following articles:

How do I get Verified?  

Why did I lose my Verified account status?

How can I become Verified without adding my bank account?

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.