How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

penguin555
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal wants your money all right -- just from your bank account or their credit card.  they just want to get out of paying credit card fees.

When I reach the 10K limit I'll get a paypal credit card and put it in the closet and NEVER use it.  I wouldn't be surprised if paypal bills my purchases to that one by default...

Another reason to use Amazon.com when possible which allows me to pay how I want.

Login to Me Too

SB33

OK - I have had enough. It's now time for me to stop using PayPal, since it is no longer the safer, EASIER way to pay.  Six months ago all was fine, now they are being short-sighted idiots.  I will find another way to transfer my money with less hassle, I'm sure.  For goodness sake, even the automated Sarah told me off for getting frustrated and calling her/it a  load of cr*p.  Bring back the old, no-hassle PayPal.

Bye Bye, old friend!

Login to Me Too

er_angel
Contributor
Contributor

So, I made BML my primary payment source, but yet a bunch of payments still came out of my bank account. All it says under my profile is "If BML is available, make it the primary payment source."  What does that mean?

Login to Me Too

SkipH
Contributor
Contributor

They told me that as long as you have a balance then that is accessed first. They said I have to empty the cash balance then I would have the option of using credit card. Now I will have transfer all funds to my bank before buying anything. Hope that works.

Login to Me Too

BobsMom
Contributor
Contributor

I found a way to use your credit card, rather than your bank acct--however, it is rather obscure.

1.  After you pull up the invoice, then you are forced to select CONTINUE WITH PAY PAL

2.  Next, LOGIN TO YOUR PAY PAL ACCT, and enter you password.

3.  When you look in the upper right block of the invoice, you should see something like Funding Sources.  The first choice is Pay Pal and it is either highlighted or checked.  However,  I found my Credit Credit card information there (Last 4-digits) below the Pay Pal option.   I clicked on this and was able to pay with the credit card.

This worked twice for me.  Both times the seller had listed PAYPAL PREFERRED in the ad, but also showed a list of credit cards as optional funding.

After paying,  I went into my Pay Pal account to confirm that the payment came from my credit card.  I probably will always continue to check this after I discovered that they had "dipped" into my bank acct.

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Confusedabout

When did Paypayh change their policy on payment. We always used to have a means of selecting our payment preference, using our credit card or having the amount debit from our linked bank account. Now we apparently have no choice. There are other annoyances as well.  Although my credit card had not actually expired (it would have expired at the end of the next month (June), Paypay would not debit my bank, and instead sent me and the merchant a cryptic note about somethign being wrong with my account and that the payment would be made by e-check but the e-check wouldn't be sent for a week... the merchant was also advised not to "cash" the check for 5 days. All this when I had a perfectly valid credit card, and more than ample funds for a bank debit.  My  wife also said that we were apparently charged a fee by paypal for a recent transaction.

Listen up Paypal, we need choices to use our bank or our credit cards for individual transactions the way we used to be able to do.  This is the only way we can manage our cash flow and finances. As a paraphrase on a song line from the show/movie "Lil Abner"  I say "put it back the way it were!"

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of you feel strongly about wanting the credit card to be able to be set as the primary funding source. Your feedback is definitely considered as we make changes to our website. Currently, the bank account is the primary funding source if available. A PayPal credit product can be set to supersede this.

Some of you have mentioned not being able to see your card available when you wish to edit the funding source. There are a few reasons why a specific funding source might not be available on a payment. If the merchant is limiting the funding methods they'll accept, that may be one reason.

Another reason is that our security models may rule out a specific funding source for a specific payment. Every transaction is evaluated based on complex statistical models to determine whether there is risk to any party involved in the transaction. In some circumstances, a specific funding source may not be available to use for that transaction, even if it was able to be used previously or is able to be used afterward. In some other circumstances, the transaction is disallowed completely, but may be able to be carried out later. When a funding source or transaction is limited in this manner, it is only for that specific payment – not for all future payments.

I wanted to specifically address a couple of individual concerns:

@dafydd - The checkout that you went through sounds like it may have been part of establishing a standing billing agreement. In billing agreements, you have the option of editing the billing agreement within your account to determine the source of future purchases. You actually can designate a credit card as the default funding for billing agreements, as long as the card is allowed by the security models at the time of the payment. However, if the merchant bills you before the funding sources are edited, it will use the default funding method for your account. Here's a link to the instructions for editing a billing agreement.

@Evans8853 - The type of interaction that you describe is definitely not okay. I'm very sorry that you had this experience. Thank you for letting us know about it.

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

Your response was less than helpful.

Paypals refusal to use a credit card is extremely missleading.

Many sellers seem to say they accept "Paypal Only"

There are adverts for credit cards within their item descriptions and you can click on the credit card of your choice.

I had not the funds in my bank account because I was purchasing a more expensive article than usual and I have a $30,000.00 fully paid up credit card so I use it.

I believe your behavior ist fraudulent to be advertising the use of credit cards and trying 2 to 3 times to withdraw from a bank account that comes up NSF.    I'd never had an NSF in my account previously and until I got my bank statement I was completely unaware that I'd had to pay $75.00 NSF fees.   You'd been requested to use the Credit card option approved in my Paypal account.  

I'm now in the position of not being able to trust paypal to use the correct payment method...no real way to check or even correct paypals thinking and therefore unable to trust to making any purchase on Ebay using paypal.....unless of course I am willing to take the chance on having to pay another $75.00 in overdraft funds.

Your lenthly response was anything but reassuring.     I'm really sorry because I've really enjoyed using ebay but will have to contact the sellers directly for payment options before I will bid.

Can't tell you how sad that makes me.    I think Paypal owes me $75.00 in NSF fees.  

Your explanation was nothing but a bunch of rather poor excuses.  "complex statistical models", "specific funding sources may not be available", "allowed by the security models at the time".   could you really get much vaquer.

In truth if you had taken the payment immediately from my Credit card account,  you and the seller would have had a completed transaction immediately instead of banging around with your wierd statistical models.  It seems as if someone in your accounting department is getting paid for a make work project in order to squeeze another dime out of what is already a prosperous business.   While  managing very nicely to lose some customers with its attitude.

Please credit my paypal account with $75.00

Thank you,

Login to Me Too

galeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I wanted to change to credit card as primary source of funding because I just had someone illegally deduct over $1400 out of my checking account with a paypal withdrawal. Paypal did investigate and return my money. However, the process took 7 days. That $1400 was unavailable to me during that period of time. It could have been a disaster if I had a ton of checks relying on that money.  I hate to do it but I am probably going to become unconfirmed unless paypal changes it's policy.

Login to Me Too

SKINNERMCGINNIS
New Community Member

Olivia,

Thanks for clearing up the Paypal policy of funding from bank account before credit card.  This makes more work for buyers who have zero balance in Paypal. .  I, for one, will not be buying anything more from eBay till I sell enough to build up my Paypal account.  Yes, I know I could apply for the Paypal credit card, but, no thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.