How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

jmaa4
Contributor
Contributor

I feel like I could have written this post myself.  The same thing just happened to me.  Does anyone know the answer?

Login to Me Too

beckys53
New Community Member

I want my american express card to be the primary funds and my bank the back up.

Login to Me Too

gebog118
New Community Member

I need to know how to change my bank account from primary to secondary using my Visa as the primary payor or at least give me the option every time

Thanks in advance

gebog

Login to Me Too

K_TPacificNW

I have been so very frustrated by this issue as well.  

I rephrased my question 20 times to the automated "help" area and finally got a canned answer that made me mad but also was finally a real answer:

Whatser-name said  "You need to delete your bank account & only then will your credit/debit card will be your first primary back-up source of payment".  

Whomever said that setting your debit/credit card as primary in that little box only determines which credit card they will use first (after they've tried your bank account over and over again & you've been charged crazy amounts of fees) was absolutely correct.

My guess is this: I originally added my debit/credit card only (which is not linked to the bank account I ultimately added) -- and everything went smoothly prior to me entering bank account info.  Like others have said, they push and push you to "verify" your bank account so that you look legit to other folks on ebay (buyers or sellers) -- since they make a point of tagging you as either verified or NOT VERIFIED next to your info on a purchase.

You know how convenience stores have been nailed with .50 fees everytime they run a debit purchase? Well, my best guess is that Pay Pal is experiencing the same thing and instead of telling the public they decided to make a really big deal out of getting your bank account authorized and set everything up to pull money from there first if someone had a bank account available (and not giving us the option anymore).

My current problem is this: I agreed with a recent buyer to refund her money and relist the item -- I was low on funds in paypal but I didn't want to wait to refund her money so I hit the refund button.  They tried my bank account and today I got an email stating that bank denied the funds request due to insufficient funds (duh... I've been emailing that to them for 3 days) -- now it says that they are just going to try pulling it out of my bank AGAIN in 3 more days -- even though the funds are now available in PayPal and there's plenty available on my debit card on file.

I tried what the automated woman said and attempted to delete my bank account & sure enough the answer was that I cannot delete it while a transfer of payment is in process (they aren't going to get their money from my bank account!)

So, my previous thought -- that my debit card may only be there as back up to my bank account is also incorrect.  They didn't get the money from my bank account and they aren't attempting to take it from my debit card now -- they're still trying in 3 more days to take it from my bank account!

Debit card is only there as an option and will only be utilized or give you the option to be utilized IF you do not have a verified bank account on file.....

Sorry so long but I've about had it with the "No information available" on this topic and seeing so many questions (including my own confusion!) -- I sent a frustrated email to Ebay earlier tonight (phones were closed) and if I get ANY info back worth sharing I will hop back in here and let y'all know!

Thanks for listening to my drama 😉

KT

Login to Me Too

gustavo357
Contributor
Contributor

I need to know which credit card I have now to pay with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

tinabugg
New Community Member

Thank you for the info, I went round and round with the robot lady too!!  I know for a fact I used to be able to switch between the accounts the one I wanted to be primary.  Looking forward to any answers you get back from them.  Merry Christmas!

Login to Me Too

2x

Sounds as if ebay is after more funds?

I can't understand if you have paypal, its linked to a credit card, you are current on your cc bill, what's the problem?

With hackers enjoying the internet....the less info concerning bank accounts out in cyber space the better.

Login to Me Too

ForGodsSake
New Community Member

I noticed all of the similar inquiries but with no or limited response. I wonder if PayPal or EBay are aware of how much business is lost due to the frustration of using PayPal for purchases and the almost complete lack of customer support. Is there any service provider that provides less assistance?

Login to Me Too

bjcman
New Community Member

To change the preference  of payment from a primary to another, look for the "change payment source:' on the summary page of the transaction..  

I share with you the frustration of not being able to change the primary to another preference..

Bobby Cook

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.