Cannot remove bank account that is closed

theoak
New Community Member

I have closed a bank account that I no longer use. The bank account is closed and I have no pending transactions, yet when I try to remove that account, I get the message: "You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending."

I need to remove this bank account before it accidentally gets used resulting in a bad transaction. Please help me to remove this account! I hope this is the right place to get help, because that automated chat thing is useless!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I've never done this, but try typing in a new bank account's information where the old info is.

Login to Me Too

gotchas
New Community Member

PayPal does not list in any one place the number of things you have to do with them when you close a blank account.

I have gotten socked for bank fees, after changing the PayPal Primary Bank Account, in the following ways:

1) I couldn't delete the old bad big bank from the list of banks, when I changed over the Primary banks. I don't think that in itself made much difference. See the following things I did not know how to do.

2) I hadn't changed the backup funding for my PayPal Debit card.

3) I hadn't removed a subscription that apparently went to my old bank on a credit card they had discontinued.

4) I hadn't removed the old bank from something called the Pay List

6) I hadn't removed the old bank from "Manage Funding Service."

It is not at all to PayPal's advantage to make this so obscure.

The consequences to me have been extremely bad. The old bad big bank invoked a rule that says if a charge comes in before the account has been closed for two days, the bank pays it and charges me an overdraft fee. So I have a lot of overdraft fees, and cannot close the old bad big bank account until I can pay them.

Login to Me Too

knightjasmine
Contributor
Contributor

THE WAY TO REMOVE OLD BANK ACCOUNTS, IS TO SIGN ON TO PAYPAL, CLICK  PROFILE, CLICK  BANK ACCOUNTS UNDER FINANCIAL INSTITUTION, AND THEN REMOVE THE ONES YOU NO LONGER NEED.

Login to Me Too

knightjasmine
Contributor
Contributor

LOG ON TO PAYPAL, CLICK PROFILE NEAR THE TOP RIGHT OF THE PAGE, CLICK BANK ACCOUNT UNDER FINANCIAL INFORMATION. SELECT THE BANK ACCOUNT YOU WISH TO REMOVE AND CLICK REMOVE Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

TheRealDeil
Contributor
Contributor

These instructions are simply how to remove a bank account. I know how to do this. The problem is when you click remove it tells you there is a pending authorization and will not allow you to remove it!

Login to Me Too

h2oevian
New Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I moved so I closed out my old local bank account and changed my primary to the new bank account. Now, when I try to remove the old bank account I receive the error message

"You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending."

Does anyone have the steps to remove the bank account -- its closed.

Login to Me Too

TheRealDeil
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same problem, too! It tells me I have an authorization pending when I haven't used this bank account on PayPal for over a year. The bank account is now closed and I would like to remove it so that I don't inadvertently use it at some point, but I always get this message. Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling them directly to see if they can clear it up...

Login to Me Too

dasspunk
New Community Member

I'm having the same problem with two banks I no longer have accounts with (one for many years). Attempting to remove them via Profile get the following error:

"You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending."

Paypal, I've renamed my the accounts I'd like deleted (If you look I think you'll easily see them). Both are non-primary and should be deleted as the accounts are closed. 

You also might want to fix this bug as I'm clearly not the only one who runs into it. The chances of people switching banks is fairly likely. Sarcasm. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.