Bad credit card help

Dirtebiker
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Well, there are a number of reasons why they might have accepted the charge. 

If you have a new or different account with the card issuer, but the old card just isn't valid, they sometimes continue to accept the charges and just post them to your new account.  This is a "continuity" feature that banks provide as a courtesy, because they understand sometimes information doesn't get updated immediately or, if you're like me, you lose your car keys every morning only to realize they're in your pocket. Smiley Wink

Sometimes, this service does come with a fee attached to it by the bank.

If you closed all of your accounts with the card issuer, it's much less likely that they would have accepted the charge.  However, the same "continuity" courtesy can be applied to closed accounts by banks for the same reasons listed above.  This one is much more likely to carry a servicing fee imposed by the issuer.

Ultimately, the decision to allow a charge on an old or outdated card is up to the individual bank/card issuer, but it can and does occur.  Smiley Sad

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Can you tell us more?  We'd like to help.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Dirtebiker

i hIT PAY THEN REALIZED MY LOST CREDIT CARD WAS USED, THEN ADDED NEW CARD TO ACCOUNT BUT AM WORRIED ABOUT CHARGES FROM BANK OR PAYPAL . WILL THEY AUTOMATICALLY TAKE FROM NEW CARD OR DO I HAVE TO TRY TO PAY AGAIN? I DON'T WANT TO PAY TWICE

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Dirtbiker,

Oh no!  That's definitely not good!  Smiley Sad

Start by checking the status of your payment in your account.  If it says "Completed," the card company accepted the charge and your seller has been paid.

From there, you could either contact the seller and ask them to refund it (this would send the money back to the card if they use the Issue Refund link) or you could contact your card issuer to see if they can make an exception and waive the fees. 

Once this is all over, you can remove the card by going to Profile > Credit/Debit Cards > Remove Card.

I hope this works out for you,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Dirtebiker

I BELIEVE IT DID SAY COMPLETED. HOW CAN THE BANK PAY IF THE CARD WAS CANCELED TWO OR THREE WEEKS AGO? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Well, there are a number of reasons why they might have accepted the charge. 

If you have a new or different account with the card issuer, but the old card just isn't valid, they sometimes continue to accept the charges and just post them to your new account.  This is a "continuity" feature that banks provide as a courtesy, because they understand sometimes information doesn't get updated immediately or, if you're like me, you lose your car keys every morning only to realize they're in your pocket. Smiley Wink

Sometimes, this service does come with a fee attached to it by the bank.

If you closed all of your accounts with the card issuer, it's much less likely that they would have accepted the charge.  However, the same "continuity" courtesy can be applied to closed accounts by banks for the same reasons listed above.  This one is much more likely to carry a servicing fee imposed by the issuer.

Ultimately, the decision to allow a charge on an old or outdated card is up to the individual bank/card issuer, but it can and does occur.  Smiley Sad

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Dirtebiker

THANKS ADRIAN, I'LL GO TO MY BANK IN THE MORNING AND MAKE SURE ITS TAKEN CARE OF. NOW IF I COULD JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO UNLOCK MY CAPS ON MY IPAD I' D BE O.K. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

My source for Apple products says on the keyboard, the shift key should be blue.  Double tap on it.

Smiley Happy

Adrian

Login to Me Too

clarck
Contributor
Contributor

@Dirtebiker wrote:

I BELIEVE IT DID SAY COMPLETED. HOW CAN THE BANK PAY IF THE CARD WAS CANCELED TWO OR THREE WEEKS AGO? 

I have gotten a new comp. trying to get set up again on pay pal. have closed my old account and started a new one. got my bank acc. updated. Keep getting bad card; Help;;;Its the same card I used before.

Login to Me Too

reymac4
New Community Member

I am trying to remove a credit card from my account.  I keep getting a message that says "are you sure you want to remove the back up credit card while a transfer is pending?"  Problem is, I don't have a transfer pending, and even though this is supposed to be a back up credit card - all transactions are coming out of this account and has caused it to overdrawn.  Can you help me figure out how to remove the card?  Thanks~!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.