Automatic transfer from bank account

JayVi
Contributor
Contributor

On July 6, I purchased something on Ebay using PayPal.  At the time, I had more than enough to cover the payment of 11.98.     A couple of days later, I ended up using what was left in my debit card and transferring everything to pay my credit card.  The next day (July 9) I received an e-mail saying that my transaction was declined due to insufficient funds and that it will automatically transfer from my debit card again in 3 business days.  I, then, checked my debit card balance only to find out that I have a $29 Check Returned Fee.   I have my credit card as my backup source in case I don't have sufficient funds in my primary source, but it still tried to take money from my debit card (unsuccessfully) and didn't even charge my credit card.   Not only that the declined transaction hadn't been taken care of, but I was charged a fee from my bank for NOTHING.  I just got payed tonight via direct deposit, so I checked my bank account to see if the automated PAYPAL transfer hadn't gone through yet so that I would be able to pay for the 11.98.  Instead, I saw ANOTHER fee for $29 from my bank because PAYPAL said I couldn't  stop or postpone the automatic transfer until after I got paid!   so what originally costed me $11.98 is now costing me $69.98!  I've been trying to keep calm about this, but now I'm just extremely aggravated. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Katalina75495
Contributor
Contributor

I hear ya. Having the same problem. I had meant to use my new checking account. But, was in a hurry and forgot to change the funding options. I tried to change it after the fact but it was too late. But, I thought they would charge my credit card because there's nothing in the old account. They didn't and now I'm in trouble. It happened twice because I was paying for two things at once. I got the "3 business days" notice but am trying to figure out how I can pay it with the new account instead of the old. I tried to have a live chat with "Sarah". That didn't work out so well. That whole thing is pointless and very unhelpful.

Login to Me Too

JayVi
Contributor
Contributor

One of the customer service reps contacted me via e-mail and basically said there's nothing I can do about it (in other words).    I really don't know what **bleep** me off more..  the fact that I have a backup source in case I have insufficient funds in my primary source, or the fact that you can't  do anything about the automated re-transfer which costs me an extra $58.   or maybe it's the fact that I did have plenty of money in the account before transferring every cent over to pay off my credit card and not realizing that a PayPal transfer still hadn't gone through for about 4 days.  (and yes, that last one would be my fault because I forgot I charged my card and paypal didn't actually allow the transaction to go through until later.   bleh. This whole thing frustrates me.  Especially since I've been loyal to PayPal for so many years now.

Login to Me Too

Katalina75495
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I think that's the worst of all. They asked for a credit card so they could charge it if there wasnt enough money in the account. I know it's my fault for being in a hurry and not checkin the right box when I was checking out. But, there was no way to change it afterwards and I thought it would probably be ok because I had added the credit card safety net. They shouldn't say it's for covering you incase your account gets messed up if they don't mean it.

Login to Me Too

jaccowgill

I didn't even receive a 3-day notice. They also used deleted accounts more than once.

Login to Me Too

jw29
Contributor
Contributor

WELCOME TO CLUB RIP OFF! As per aAyPal policy, giving them your bank account was to be ONLY used as a SECOND source of funding when your PAYPAL account had insuffuceint funds. WELL, my PAYPAL account had the AVAILABLE sufficient funds to cover EBAY fees, but PAYPAL, took the money of of my personall banking account, OVERDRAWING it and amassing fees from my bank in excess of $100. IN doing so, the usurped their iwn policy, and indirectly stole from me.

It's bad enough they hold the money that people in good failth pay right away,not they take from personal account without cause? I feel your pain. I am livid! I will not call and go ten rounds with someone who is cluless, I write everyting to hace documentation, as to what I said and How they answer.

Login to Me Too

JayVi
Contributor
Contributor

wow. I really couldn't have said it any better myself. In a way, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. But more so, I'm aggravated we, and other people, are being misled and ripped off in such a way!

Login to Me Too

jaccowgill

Did you manage to get any satisfaction from paypal.  They used a deleted account in my case and did it more than once.  It doesn't seem to matter if you check the right box or what.  Do they get a percentage from the banks for the overdrafts?  It cost me over $200 since there were multiple purchases.  I guess I'll just have to forego using Paypal.

Login to Me Too

JayVi
Contributor
Contributor

awh, mannn. i'm sorry to hear.  no. they didn't do anything for me. paypal just **bleep**ed me over and i couldn't even fight it, really.  i try not to use paypal whenever possible now because of those bs incidents.. but some people ONLY make transactions through paypal, so at times i will be forced to keep using it. =/ 

all i was able to do was call my credit unions and explain to them my scenario.  my credit unions reimbursed me the amounts, but i'm only allowed ONE of those get-out-of-jail free passes for each credit union in my lifetime.  which makes me even more angry because it wasn't even my fault since paypal is responsible for it.

i tried to fight it, but they practically told me to **bleep** it up and take it (in more professional-like words).

i suppose i could still try to fight it, but it's already been a couple of months. and as busy as i already am, it's kind of hard to take care of all this within THEIR business hours.

you, on the other hand, may have a good fighting chance.  you didn't even get a warning AND they used an account that was DELETED?!  wow, that makes me more angry.  and i really wish i had more time on my hands 'cause i would definitely spend it to help fight along your side.  i need to stop now because i'm letting the anger really get to me and i might post something i'd regret later.  i have a day off near the end of this month.  if i could remember, i'll try to do some massive reading on their policies and stuff so i can help you out even the slightest bit.  till then, maybe you could do some of your own and start sending complaints.  and if they still won't do anything for you, check out the 'better business bureau" and the "attorney generals office".  google them and do some  research of your own and possibly even file complaints through them.  :sigh:  i wish there were many more hours in a day to take care of everything.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.