Ask an Expert Dec 15: Anurag Avula, Jeremy Khoo & Rachel Chan

PayPal_Luna
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there and welcome to our first Ask an Expert session!

Once in a while we sit down with e-commerce experts across the region, and this time we are excited to have some of the most experienced and inspirational online business owners around! Quick bio:

• Anurag Avula: Ex Paypal APAC Senior Director, currently CEO & CoFounder at Shopmatic Just about the best person for you to ask technical & design questions about online launch, operation and growth.

* Unfortunately Jeremy is not currently available to answer questions, but he shall be able to response in January. 

The three experts will be around on this thread to answer questions in the next 2-3 weeks. They will also sit down in a panel discussion later that will be filmed and uploaded.

Before we get started, I have a small surprise for you: We are giving away 10x US$100 Google Adwords vouchers to people with the most interesting questions! So you will be rewarded for getting your problems solved, how does that sound?

Detailed T&Cs for the giveaways are found here. If you haven’t read the board sticky post, I encourage you to do so. Now let’s get started!

Luna

If my post or any other was helpful, please show your appreciation by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too
134 REPLIES 134

amitontheweb
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like online business today has come to mean e-commerce. What are the other opportunities that online entrepreneurs are neglecting to consider or are missing out on?

Login to Me Too

KL2015
Contributor
Contributor

Dear e-commerce experts,

Please rank the following factors from top to bottom, top being the no. 1 important factor, for growing my business globally

• e-commerce web site for mobile browser and desktop browser
  • m-commerce mobile app for Android
  • m-commerce mobile app for iOS
  • advertising via Google AdWords
  • advertising via Facebook
  • SEO
  • product description/data sheet/web page/mobile app in multiple languages
  • live chat operated by live persons
  • telephone hotline for sales and support
  • setting up company in Hong Kong and a bank account in Hong Kong to withdraw money from PayPal into HK bank account
  • hire sales team at each region e.g. SEA, East Asia, EU, etc. to meet customers face-to-face
  • holding web conference/meeting with customers at different time zones
  • accepting payment in different currencies
  • courier company with strong internaional presence to ship products to customer wordwide
  • (please add, your input is most welcome)

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

K.L.

Login to Me Too
Solved

RachelChan
Contributor
Contributor

@KL2015 wrote:

Dear e-commerce experts,

Please rank the following factors from top to bottom, top being the no. 1 important factor, for growing my business globally

• SEO
  • setting up company in Hong Kong and a bank account in Hong Kong to withdraw money from PayPal into HK bank account
  • hire sales team at each region e.g. SEA, East Asia, EU, etc. to meet customers face-to-face
  • courier company with strong internaional presence to ship products to customer wordwide

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

K.L.

Hi K.L.,

There's no right or wrong way to grow your business globally. It really depends on what advantage/disadvantage do you have currently and from there, you can make a better decision what should come first. Take for example, LIV3LY. Having a lean budget, I am more focus on getting the system up and running so that I can sell my services. Once the clientel starts streaming in, then the support should be in place to ensure the clients/consumers are happy. I couldn't stress enough the importance of focusing in your homeground and do it well before jumping into other regions.

Unlike USA/Europe, Asia uses different languages, has different currencies, has different culture of spending, has users who accustom to onsite/atm/online/mobile purchasing. This makes expansion into each region much more challenging, but that doesn't mean it is not possible. You will get the sense of what's important to do first as you grow your business. 

All the best!

Yours sincerely,

Rachel

Login to Me Too

Himesh
Contributor
Contributor

I think each & every holding steps is important to us when we are on for growing with business globally 

@KL2015 wrote:

Dear e-commerce experts,

• SEO

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

K.L.

Login to Me Too

mariolesmana
New Community Member
In South East Asia, what is the important things any business venture should know to make their business thrive & successful in that particular region?
Login to Me Too

mariolesmana
New Community Member
In this globally connected world, how to start an online business without having any capital, just a good internet connection?
Login to Me Too

dealwithitsg
New Community Member

We just launched a platform that curates retail promotions/deals which can't be found online elsewhere. There are nice features and nice contents and the idea was validated by many people.

"Yup this is useful. Now I can find out what's in the malls before stepping out."

But the problem remains how to attract people to the platform? Advertising (online & offline) was done. Words of mouth were spread. But signups and usage were low.

What are some of the 'tested and trialed' marketing stunts that could help?

Login to Me Too

cyberyod
Contributor
Contributor

Is it advisable to start a new niche based eCommerce website when there are many big players like amazon? What would be the best way to advertise such a business? Will Paypal give any discounts to new startups?

Login to Me Too

chessmaster
New Community Member

How could we earn bonus points with our paypal and e-commerce transactions, so as to buy Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and app store credits? How could the e-commerce ecosystem enable startups who are using e-commerce platforms such as paypal, payoneer, and others?

Login to Me Too

HNSK83
New Community Member

Hi, I am managing a new small business, my products are as good as others from big competitors, how can I grow up my business ? I am making SEO, adwords, but other competitors also do the same things, what will make mine become different and grow up ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.