testing a button using the sandbox

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

SImple - just want to test a subscribe button on my website !

Got going with the sandbox just fine.

Cannot find anywhere in the sandbox to create a button!

Reading another post, the suggestion is that if one uses a 'non-hosted' button  it is as  easy as switching the url to the sandbox. However, I cannot find anyway to create a 'non-hosted'  button.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

(And, yes, I have read as much of the documentation as 2+ hours allows, and meandered over the website in endless loops ... oh why does this have to be so hard!)

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the following message:-   "The link you have used to enter the PayPal system is invalid. Please review the link and try again"   arose because I mistakenly used the main paypal account email address (<input hidden name=business value='emailaddress'>) rather than the (fake) business email address set up in the sandbox.   Finally, moving forward!   Now, how does one apply VAT to subscriptions I wonder, and, off to grapple with "IPT" or do I have to go api I wonder  ... oh well, something to keep me amused for the wek-end.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

In answer to my own question - essentially "How to create a non-hosted" button to use in the sandbox?

When you go into paypal to set the button up - ensure you ARE NOT LOGGED IN - then you get 'non-hosted' HTML code.

Forward just a gnats whisker ... now to try to find out why I get the message:

The link you have used to enter the PayPal system is invalid. Please review the link and try again 

when trying to make a payment in the sandbox with my 'buyer' account.

Will post again if (a) I can find an answer  and  (b) I can find my way back here again

Login to Me Too
Solved

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the following message:-   "The link you have used to enter the PayPal system is invalid. Please review the link and try again"   arose because I mistakenly used the main paypal account email address (<input hidden name=business value='emailaddress'>) rather than the (fake) business email address set up in the sandbox.   Finally, moving forward!   Now, how does one apply VAT to subscriptions I wonder, and, off to grapple with "IPT" or do I have to go api I wonder  ... oh well, something to keep me amused for the wek-end.

Login to Me Too

Jhardy
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find my sandbox stuff anymore?? But what I was trying to do unsuccesfuly was create a sandbox I could use to test purchases on my site. Does anyone have instructions for doing this??

Thanks

John

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Grebe,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this.

To set up international VAT rates, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click the Profile subtab.
3. In the Selling Preferences column, click the VAT link.
4. In the Set Up International VAT Rates section, click Add New VAT. If you've already added VAT, click Add Another VAT.
5. Select a country from the drop-down menu.
6. Complete the form, and click Continue when finished.

Sellers have the option of charging tax by the US state, US postcode, Canadian province or country they sell in for PayPal Shopping Cart, PayPal Donations or PayPal Buy Now Buttons. You can also select whether or not tax will be applied to postage.

You can add, edit or remove your tax preferences from the VAT page in your Profile. To define your tax preference:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
Click the Profile subtab.
2. In the Selling Preferences column, click the VAT link.
3. Click Add VAT.
4. Complete the required fields and click Continue.

Postage charges and VAT are both included in the price you see advertised for any item next to Text to Buy.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David

Thanks for your reply; it's taken a while to get back to this with a few other issues.

To clarify, we are UK based selling subscriptions to a predominantly UK based business market.  We need to charge VAT on the subscriptions.

Having set my sellers account up (in the sandbox) with relevant VAT for UK sales, I do not seem to get VAT shown or charged on the subscription transactions and no mention of tax appears in the IPN messages.  I am using UK based test accounts in the sandbox.

How do I get VAT shown and charged on the subscrioption payments?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

A post dated 2007 on PayPal X suggests that VAT is not supported by PayPal on subscription payments - can someone confirm this is still the case?

Login to Me Too

grebe
Contributor
Contributor

A post dated 2007 on PayPal X suggests that VAT is not supported by PayPal on subscription payments - can someone confirm this is still the case?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

I just moved you other post here as it's the same issue.

You are right though Im afraid, VAT is not supported.

Login to Me Too

ronaele
New Community Member

classic - I've heard some idiotic things in my time but this one really is brilliant - NOT.

Talked to support for days about this and they didn't even understand whether they did support VAT or not.

I was told repeatedly 9by different support staff) that they did support VAT on subscriptions and that I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for wasting days of my time Paypal - your system is unusable and your support is incompetitent.

You tried shaming me in to not pestering about this issue and ALL the f!!!!!!! time it was you who had it wrong.

Expletive!Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.