'spoof@paypal.co.uk' .................................. can you trust advice from this source !!!!!!

fintanmichael
Contributor
Contributor

Part 1: Forwarded an obviously suspect email to above address as Paypal website recommended - the email requested that I complete form to include bank details etc. Official reply from Paypal was to 'confirm' that the suspect email was genuine !!! I requested by email that Paypal should reinvestigate and reply. Paypal have completely ignored this sensinle request. I have heard nothing since.

Having seen the litany of messages in the Forum regarding suspect, ie phishing emails, it is incomprehensible that the Paypal organisation can be so negligent and can expose clients to such dangers.

Part 2: Received another suspect email today which was [again] forwarded to spoof@paypal etc pointing out the suspicious bits and requesting that I be contacted to confirm that ' the email is indeed not genuine. Am now awaiting reply.

Will post the information to the Forum when received .......................... Paypal's reputability for identifying and dealing with phishing is, as far as I am concerned, on the line ?????

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there fintanmichael,

Firstly, the email address is actually spoof@paypal.com not spoof@paypal.co.uk so just make sure you are forwarding these emails on to the .com address.

Secondly, without seeing this email it does sound like a spoof/phishing email.

Never download forms/attachments or click on links to fill in personal details. 

Here are some tips to help you recognise fraudulent emails and protect your PayPal account from phishing or spoof.

Check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last name, or the business name on your PayPal account. See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email will never ask you for any of the following:

• Bank account numbers
  • Credit or debit card numbers
  • Email addresses
  • Your full name
  • Your password, or answers to your PayPal account security questions.

Always check for attachments. We'll never send an attachment or software updates to install on your computer.

Hope this helps!

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

heron100
New Community Member

Dear moderators or anyone who cares...

Problems with trust have not been solved despite contacting spoof@paypal.co.uk

There  seems to be a problem with personal contact at the times I am dealing with this. Paypal is a major player in a 24/7 world. I have been met with a block and office hours during old fashioned 9 to 5 type hours. I thought the modern world of the intenet banished that for proper companies a decade ago.

How can I sort this problem of spoof with a real person at the time I am available - 12am - 3am? I have sent many email messages without a satisfactory response. I would like to talk to a moderator, please.

Michael

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi heron100, 

We would be happy to talk to you. However please be advised that as moderators we can not view or take action on your PayPal account. 

Please post any questions and we will be happy to provide general advice. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

sbelsey81
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya i was told to forward the suspicious email i recived to spoof@paypal.co.uk and i did and they sent a message back thanking me and saying yes it was a phishing email and i have helped others by sending it on to them etc does that mean that i have been contacted by the wrong people if that email address is in fact incorrect? Im so confused 😞 hope i havent now done something just as stupid trusting that email? Is it defo spoof@paypal.com? cos that is 100% not the address that a) i sent it to and b) has replied?

Login to Me Too

sbelsey81
Contributor
Contributor

also i got reply within 5 mins of sending it? not sure if thats good or bad?

Login to Me Too

Omegazeta
Contributor
Contributor
You're wrong Siobhan. Paypal are now blocking emails sent to spoof@paypal.com and to spoof@paypal.co.uk It is no longer possible for Paypal customers to report phishing attempts to these addresses. I've been reporting three or four of these a week for at least a year but Paypal have now withdrawn the facility to report them.
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Omegazeta

Paypal Siobhan wrote that message on 01-25-2013 so things could have changed since then

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi Omegazeta,

I hope you guys don’t mind me jumping in.

I understand your concern and thanks for this honest feedback. Process can change time to time, when it happens we will inform our users accordingly. I just want to give you up to date information.

Here’s how to report a fake email:

1. Do not change the subject line and do not forward the message as an attachment.
  2. Forward the email to spoof@paypal.co.uk
  3. Delete the email from your inbox.

We use the emails you send to investigate and take action against the people responsible. Don't click on any links or download any attachments within the suspicious email before you delete it.

Note:

• If you provided any personal information in response to a phishing email or on a spoof website, change your PayPal password and security questions immediately
  • If you provided any financial information, contact your bank and your credit card issuer and tell them about the situation
  • Review your recent PayPal account activity to make sure that you authorised all of the transactions

If your emails to this inbox are blocked. I advise you to check your email options and contact to your email provider.

Welcome to the community and thanks for positing!

I hope this helps!

Arda

Login to Me Too

Bdiethrich
New Community Member

Omega....

thanks for the info!

Your the only person with advise that makes sense!

b.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.