received a refund but it's not showing in my balance

Lesley2014

Help!

I received a refund from an eBay seller on the 25th to my Paypal. I had an email from Paypal saying the money had been refunded and it was all complete. It's showing in my history but it's not showing in my actual balance.

-I have not made any other payments with Paypal

-I've checked with my bank and no refund has been made

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you funded the original paypal payment to the seller with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c.

If you did not use a debit card and used instant bank transfer come back for another possible reason.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you funded the original paypal payment to the seller with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c.

If you did not use a debit card and used instant bank transfer come back for another possible reason.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nazi-ibby
New Community Member

I've had the same problem as twice i made a payment but the money was unclaimed. I rang paypal and they said if you pay by debit card it takes up to 7 days to get refunded due to the banks but also said that it would be put back in my paypal. which last week did happen. I am now waiting for the same thing and same amount of money. If it isnt in after 7 days i would give paypal a ring and they will help to sort it. everytime i have spoke to them they have always helped. 

Login to Me Too

slimtay
Contributor
Contributor
I have this problem however I lost my debit card and now I have a new one... how will that money get on my new card?
Login to Me Too

slimtay
Contributor
Contributor
I have this problem however I lost my debit card and now I have a new one... how will that money get on my new card?
Login to Me Too

lala_must
New Community Member

how  do you contact paypal i had the same issue of a refund not sent back to my account . i tried calling paypal but its just an aiutomated system that replied me 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

lala_must

1. How did you fund the original payment to the seller that was refunded?

Instant bank transfer or funds in your paypal balance OR

Debit / credit card.

2. Did you have email confirmation of the refund?

I can probably help you locate it but if you want to contact paypal there are several ways >>

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

vic2r
New Community Member
I was charged twice when i purchased from ebay then the seller refunded my payment. I also received email confirmation of the refund. I expect to receive 2 refunds since i was charged twice. who should i contact now? the seller? Paypal? Please help!
Login to Me Too

Citizen_Z
Contributor
Contributor

Did he say he funded it with a debit card? Don't assume.

I've had the same thing happen to me and I certainly didn't use a debit card.

In my situation what happened is that the seller refunded the item when his PayPal account was empty.

PayPal then tries to get the money from a bank account (5 to 7 days).

If the bank account is closed or empty, this doesn't work so...

...PayPal will contact the bank and try again. (5 to 7 days)

...and again. (5 to 7 days)

Eventually a dispute/claim is opened. (might be too late to even open a claim at that point)

...basically, kiss the money good bye.

This is a loophole in their system.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Citizen_Z,

Thanks for posting in the forum. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. If you are waiting for a refund from a seller and this is not received, you can always contact us so that we can help you to follow up before the dispute time frame expires.

You can reach out to us by phone or email from the Contact us link in PayPal or send us a message via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal.

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.