ipn and url changed

zark
New Community Member

Hi, hope you can help .....

I am new to the ipn and did a silly typo on the url. I previously tested the ipn file on my server through sandbox and it was fine and a-ok. Unfortunately when i went live i forgot to double check the validity of the url i had put in for ipn.

Now i have 4 payments retrying a url which is impossible to reach due to security settings on my site.

I have updated the ipn page to the correct URL but am unsure how the outstanding transactions in my ipn history will react.

do i just wait it out for paypal to pass over the new url to the retrying transactions

or

do i have to wait until they fail and then the correct url will be passed over?

or

????

thanks for your help

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

zark
New Community Member

i tried:

disable ipn and re-enable. I thought it might flush the url data but it seems to be unalterable.

Login to Me Too

RollJam
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having exactly the same problem. For a period of approximately one week last month the IPN settins for each of my buttons was changed inexplicably to HTTPS instead of HTTP (I suspect PayPal did it through some data change by accident but that isnt relevant to now).

The result is that some reaccuring payments are sending IPN notifications to the HTTPS url and failing instead of sending to the correct HTTP url.

What can I do to fix these outstanding payments? (other than getting an SSL certificate for this page and allowing the HTTPS traffic).

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there RollJam,

@zark

You are best submitting this question here- www.paypal.com/mts

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

RollJam
Contributor
Contributor

OK I sent a support ticket to PayPal and got this rather depressing news back:

"Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support. I am sorry to hear of the difficulty you have had.

The IPN URL is hard coded to the recurring payments profile when the customer creates it from your subscription button. Unfortunately it is not possible to change these to a different URL from the PayPal side.

There are two options to resolve the issue. The first is to create new subscription buttons for your website. In the advanced variables section on step 3, enter the following: modify=2. This will then allow new subscribers to continue to sign up but your existing subscribers can use this to modify their current subscription to your "new terms" which would change the IPN URL the transaction was posted to.

The second option would be to cancel the customer's profile and have them sign up again. "

So do you love that, cancel the customer's profile and have them sign up again! Absolutely stunning suggestion from PayPal!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.