@consultant.com I have been asked to confirm to this website for a payment

bigbang
New Community Member

I am selling an item and the interested party has informed me that she has sent my payment.  I have received an email from 'PayPal Service' asking me to send the shipping reference for the item before the money can be moved to my account.  They want the reference to be sent to '******@consultant.com'.  This has left me feeling quite silly as I am now sure it is a scam.  The interested party would also like the item posted to Nigeria and I have had scam emails claiming to come from there before.

Can PayPal confirm it does not use the above email address and who to contact to report this scam?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_barry

Hi, your gut feeling on this seems to be correct. This does look like a classic scam. You are informed that “PayPal” are holding your funds in some other account.  All you need to do is send the item; forward the tracking number and your funds are released. Of course, you send the item; forward the tracking number, and then nothing. Forward that e-mail to spoof@paypal.com. Then delete the fake email from your inbox. You should also Click ‘Safety Advice’ at the top of any PayPal page to learn more about phishing and online safety. Best of luck.

Login to Me Too

wishkau
New Community Member

I have the same situation - request to send confirmation to this consultant.com to "release" money into my account, and the delivery should be made to Nigeria.

I forwarded those emails to spoof@paypal.com

Login to Me Too

deathsvengeance
New Community Member

I had a scammer try a similar method as well.  But as soon as he said I'd be shipping my item to Nigeria, it was a major red flag and I began conducting research.  I forwarded the bogus email to spoof@paypal.com as suggested 🙂 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.