Withdrawal under review for security reasons - Why?

MAHides
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I just logged on this morning and withdrew £23 for some model making bits I sold yesterday to a chap over the pond. When I completed the withdrawal process, it informed me that my withdrawal would be on hold while it was reviewed...

What gives?

A quick surf shows that there are many, many people in the same situation in the last few days, which would indicate that this is a widespread issue.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

feefee147
New Community Member

Hey MAHides

I have the same thing. I've made four withdrawals over the last few days and three out of the four have been 'reviewed'. I cant seem to get a decent answer from Paypal about this, emailed responses just advise that the withdrawal is under review and could take up to 24 hours (and then either be agreed or declined and the money paid back to my paypal balance)

Anyone else know why this keeps happening?? I have done nothing different with my account (and obviously I am having a clearout and selling bits and pieces as I REALLY need the money, so delays aren't really helpful!)

Aaargh!

Login to Me Too

MAHides
Contributor
Contributor

I think the only way to get a straight answer is via your Member of Parliament, which is what I think I will do, being a curious type. 

Login to Me Too

Fortisip
New Community Member
Not sure why you are all worried. It also happens to me, but Paypal then deposit the funds into my bank imeadiately, which means I have access to the money in under 24 hours. They can review all my withdrawls if they are going to do this.
Login to Me Too

MAHides
Contributor
Contributor

The point being, that if it really IS for security reasons, ONCE would be enough for a given bank account. If not then it is procedurely suspect.

The fact that Paypal are reticent in explaining when asked to do so, as to why they are doing this, what a given issue is etc, says to me and I suppose others, that there is another reason at the base of it all which is to the benefit of Paypal.

If Paypal was up front about this and realised that whilst we agree to something it does not give them carte blanche to do what they do without recourse to explain why, I would be less incensed.

It's not what they are doing but how...

Login to Me Too

moelview
New Community Member

I have just withdrawn funds to my bank account, and guess what - under security review! This is the second one on the bounce! What's going on Paypal?????

Login to Me Too

Arizonanino
New Community Member

same for me as one of the posters here said ..its no big deal , you get that warning of under review but in 2 minutes after , u get an email saying the funds are being transferred to your bank..so no big deal...i notice this only happens when i get paid in euros since it is another currency different to mine.

Login to Me Too

MAHides
Contributor
Contributor

Well....

I withdrew three amounts yesterday.

One for £20 was put under review (ho hum) and is still under review more than 24 hours later. Paypal say it can take up to 72 hours, 

When I asked them why it does not state that on the mail they send, I was told that it was a technical issue.

2 other small withdrawals, were bounced by my bank. Only they were not.... My bank never got a sniff of those transactions.

Just had a heated convo with Paypal...

Asked for the detais of where to send a subject access request application they said they will call me back to arrange that. What rubbish... SAR's do not work like that.

Asked who the company's Data Protection Officer was - Nobody knew

Asked who their security head honcho was - They don't have one

Asked what exactly they did that took 72 hours, they could not discuss that for security (insecurity?) reasons.

They are not governed by the FSA with regards BUT they ARE goverened by the FOS and in Luxembourg the CSSF.

So to recap, a company with my security at heart and my financial data in it's database has no DPO, no security management oversight, can't play fair with the faster payments scheme and will not explain what it is doing with my and your data whenever they conduct a review.

No doubt, now I have created a stink, Paypal will find an excuse to suspend my account... Let's see

Login to Me Too

zefeena
New Community Member

I withdraw money each day, as mine is a business account.  Every payment, since about a week ago has had the same message (reviewing for security reasons). 

However, this is in no way delaying the money being deposited in the bank.  I think it is simply that paypal has changed its transfer method, as now each payment shows as 'Faster Payments' rather than 'Paypal'

It used to take at least 3-4 days, more if BH or weekends were in the middle.  Now they 'review' it - or more likely your request goes to a different sector, where a transfer (faster payment) is made.

Yes, the 'security reason' thing threw me, and its annoying they can't just say whats going on, but hey ho, as long as the money makes it to me, i think all is well!

Login to Me Too

Goran101
New Community Member

I am sorry, but this is not a small problem! This is my own money that I made with a hard work, and they are taking a very good fees for them being an intermediary. If there is a security problem I want to know the details because: 1. I care about who handles my money and 2. There are a lot of other services that I can do business with.

Just telling me to wait for 24h without any explanation is not good enough if you are gonna take me 5 bucks every time I make a transaction.

Pay Pal, stop acting like Google and be more transparent.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.