Withdrawal under review for security reasons - Why?

MAHides
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I just logged on this morning and withdrew £23 for some model making bits I sold yesterday to a chap over the pond. When I completed the withdrawal process, it informed me that my withdrawal would be on hold while it was reviewed...

What gives?

A quick surf shows that there are many, many people in the same situation in the last few days, which would indicate that this is a widespread issue.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

PayPal_Donna

Hi MAHides,

Welcome to the PayPal community. 

Withdrawals can take anything from 2 – 72 hours to complete through our system. Generally they'll complete within 2 hours however we will occasionally hold a withdrawal for further review. To provide one of the safest online payment services our internal security system reviews every transaction before it's released.

This type of review can happen for various reasons. For example, you may have received a higher-than-usual amount of money into your account, you may be logging in from an unsecure network or you may have made changes to your account recently.

Once our review has finished your withdrawal will show as ‘completed’ and will be processed to your bank account if the review didn't turn up any issues.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

New2U
Contributor
Contributor

wrote:

For example, you may have received a higher-than-usual amount of money into your account...

This particular justification for the practice is, to me, very disturbing.

Login to Me Too

Me too! What the heck is going on? I figure most of the people that posted on this forum eventually got their money, but It’s My Money and I Want it Now!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi there,

Withdrawals can take anything from 2 – 72 hours to complete through our system. Generally they'll complete within 2 hours however we will occasionally hold a withdrawal for further review. To provide one of the safest online payment services our internal security system reviews every transaction before it's released.

This type of review can happen for various reasons. For example, you may have received a higher-than-usual amount of money into your account, you may be logging in from an unsecure network or you may have made changes to your account recently.

Once our review has finished your withdrawal will show as ‘completed’ and will be processed to your bank account if the review didn't turn up any issues.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Cylix
Contributor
Contributor

I was told when I called that this "security check" was Random, I'm like ok I'll try it again... randomly got "security checked" again... and again the next day... and again for the next 2 transactions. This IS NOT random. Please stop doing this so I can have FAST and EASY access to my money and not have to take heart attack pills every time I try to make a transfer. I also would like a less generic answer as to why this is happening please and thank you.

wrote:

Hi there,

-Donna

Login to Me Too

New2U
Contributor
Contributor

This has been happening to me regularly lately as well.

If there's a security issue that PayPal believes they have, then I want to know what it is since it seems to have led them to now routinely intervene with the transfer of wealth from my verified PayPal account to my verified bank account.

Without legitimate answers, I feel like I'm in the company of the Gestapo every time I try to transfer my money to my bank account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.