Why my money received is being hold for 21 days?

theshirtgirl

How can i cancel this??????????????? i did nothing wrong.. this is so inconvient for me....

Login to Me Too
138 REPLIES 138

berty100
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal don't just do this for ebay transactions, they also do it even when you're simply using paypal as a form of payment from your existing customers (ie when they're simply acting as a bank/payment-processor).

Want to know the really nasty part?....

Even after the 2/3 weeks has gone by and they've made your money "available for withdrawal", when you try to withdraw it, they then put you on a 3-day "withdrawal hold" as well (even when your bank account has already gone through the full paypal confirmation processes).

If you're in the UK, contact these people and make a complaint against paypal:

http://www.fca.org.uk/

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Login to Me Too

Patchmaker
Contributor
Contributor

I sent payment for a large order to a supplier I have dealt with before, but Paypal will not release the payment to them.  I called Paypal, and they said it was maybe because of conversion from US funds to Canadian funds (which normally takes 4 to 5 days).  It has been over two weeks, the funds are gone from my Paypal account, the supplier hasn't been paid, and all Paypal gives me is a condescending rep who isn't even sure why it's being held, and couldn't be bothered checking. 

I've been using Paypal for 14 years now, but seriously reconsidering now.  Guess I'm now looking at the "21 day hold" for no reason.  So of course I won't have my supplies for a good long time - or the money to buy them elsewhere either. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community. I see you have not had a response from any of our members to date. Maybe I can help.

I'm sorry to hear there are holds on your funds. Can you reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter and we can have this looked into for you? You can find us on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK/ or you can Tweet @askPayPal.

-David R

Login to Me Too

mjtimko
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal David, The sad thing is your strong arm tactics only happen here because we are a captive audience. eBay requires payment through PayPal. The good old days of accepting others forms of payment such as check &amp; money order have been wiped out of the system. I can't walk into Best Buy and buy a television and then instruct my bank to hold back my payment for 21 days or until I tell them I'm happy with Best Buys television. Something else I wonder. Retailers have been using eBay for awhile now as a means to sell their stuff. When Sears, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Target, etc. sells via ebay, do you hold their money for 21 days? I bet you don't. PayPal needs to get sued again, so that during Discovery a request can be made to see average wait times of individual PayPal accounts (us ) vs institutional PayPal accounts (i.e Target / Best Buy). I bet that would be some interesting reading.</P>
Login to Me Too

Ls1jay
New Community Member
This is a joke. Iv been selling on eBay for 5 years with 100% positive feedback. I'm not a high volume seller but a quality one. I for one will not play there game. They have been randomly putting my money on hold and when they do I cancel the transaction. Simple as that. I explain to the customers what's going on and haven't received negative feedback yet. If I start receiving negative feedback for cancelling sales eBay will simply lose a good money making seller. There's plenty of other places to sell goods people. Places that don't steal 15% as well.
Login to Me Too

tur848
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paypal_Lucy,

I'm a new seller and just got caught in the same trap.  Might I respectfully point out that this HOLD on funds in not mentioned anywhere prominent on your systems when I chose to sell with EBay/Paypal.  To quote the 'Sell on Ebay' page under "Here's How it Works"    -    http://csr.ebay.com.au/cse/start.jsf 

List it

That's it! Just click "List it" and your item will be visible to millions of buyers! Once it sells: ta-da, you get money!

"ta-da, you get your money" is a clear statement that - WE GET THE MONEY!  There is nowhere on the page that says

"... and PayPal, our widely promoted and pushed finance portal will hold your money for 21 days if they want!  Ta-DA!"

If you wish to take the high moral ground and give nicely worded details about all the reasons behind this, I think you need to be more honest with yourselves, and with your new clients (who's business pays your salary) and point this out up front.

The major problem here is that it's coming as a big "TA-DA" (Ebays phrase) surprise right at the end of all your seller's first transactions.  No wonder you get complaints.

Since this is a long thread it indicates you STILL choose not to explain this clearly to new clients up front. It must make anyone question the transparency and honesty of your business practices.

There's no excuse not to fix this bad communication - it has to be your choice to continue not to inform new clients.

Like all your other new clients on this thread, I'm not happy, and not impressed.

I know Paypal and EBay are uber big corporations. Do you really need to go out of your way to make your clients feel small and petty?

This is NOT hard to fix.

Login to Me Too

waterwillie

I ran into this for the first time today as well.

I only use paypal for invoicing, avoiding the high fees of the previous service that I used. I sell services, and I invoice only after the services have been rendered. By paying the invoice, my customer verifies that they have already received and accepted the "product" at that price. There wouldn't be any refunds. However, as customer service told me, they can't make that distinction.

I will be sending another invoice in the next few days, but since I'm already above my $100.00 limit (I bill $20+/hr, so I hit that fast) everything I make for the foreseeable future will be on hold for 21 days. Customer service told me that I'm a risk because I'm a new customer, but I only have one customer and I've been working with them for 6 months with no issues. Paypal is a better value for my client (cheaper and more convenient than other services) so I can't really switch back to anything else. Shouldn't there be a way for the buyer to verify the seller?

Small businesses cannot function under this type of restriction!!!

Login to Me Too

waterwillie

btw, I've only used paypal once before as a payment processor over a decade ago when I purchased a computer off of ebay. The holds and lengthy verifications that I experienced (which weren't anticipated at all) affected the seller so negatively that they left a terrible review on my ebay account and I was banned from using that credit card on ebay ever again. 

Apparently, not much has changed.

Login to Me Too

Hi,

I have worked couple of weeks for an organization and got paid for it.

I got a notification, like this
"We may place your received payment in your pending balance for up to 21 days. One of the ways to get faster access to your payments is to become an established seller with PayPal. Click here for more information."

WTF is this,
@guys tell me, after waitng for 21 days, will i getting this money?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@heykarthikwithu

As long as a buyer has not opened a dispute then of course you will get the funds.

But it does not make any difference to your seller protection as even if you withdrew the funds to yoru bank account and the buyer opened a dispute you would have to refund the buyer or your account would be put into neg and limited until you do so you are at no more risk.

More info here >>> if it was an ebay auction.

www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ1377/1/?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB

and here if it was not ebay.

www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ3236/2/?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.