Why is the Paypal website so slow?

ScirraTom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

New to this forum.  I'm a web developer for Scirra.com

We sell mainly via Paypal.  Logging into Paypal, searching for transactions, the entire experience is frustratingly slow.

Why is the website so slow, and what are the plans to fix it?  If it continues to be as slow as it is we're happy to find a faster service.

Here's a breakdown of normal times I observe logging in and finding a transaction:

Paypal homepage: 3.5 seconds
Login page: 11 seconds
Processing login: 7 seconds
Getting to homepage: 12 seconds
Click history: 14.5 seconds
Click find a transaction: 4 seconds
Find a transaction on email: 11.5 seconds

I would expect a website like this to load under a few seconds per page.  Clicking the history button and it taking nearly 15 seconds is unusually poor performance.  I'm not even sure how you could write the history page to take that long to load.

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

JukeboxJay

My goodness. I agree completely! Its SO SLOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! I'm writing this message while waiting for the "History>Reports" page to load... 

Paypal. Step it up!!!! Come ON!!

Login to Me Too

baytrading1
Contributor
Contributor

I have sent an email again to paypal asking for someone to have a look at this thread as it does not seem that anyone is looking at it

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi baytrading1,

I can assure you that we at PayPal do read all threads which are opened on the Community Forum, and we do take feedback which will help with improving our functionality and website, and forward it to the relevant department here.

Although the Community Forum is intended to be a place for customers to share experiences and discuss issues, two of my colleagues have responded to this thread previously, so I hope you can see that we are keeping an eye on things 🙂

I understand that both you and a number of other people have stated that they find the website slow, and I can assure you that we work to update the website constantly. We have had an online presence for over 10 years, which means that our website may appear slightly clunky beside newer sites, and new features which we add and functionality we implement may sometimes slow down things. We are definitely aware of this, and we are working to make things better.

Something such as the speed with which a page opens after you click on it is also something that is affected by a number of variables, such as the speed of your internet connection or the browser you're using. Many people also don't report the issues which have been mentioned here.

I can again assure you that we do take your feedback on board, and work to make things better for our customers. All feedback is sent to our Integration department in order to do this. Thanks again for the information!

Sophie

Login to Me Too

baytrading1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Sophie for the response. It would be good if every so often this thread is updated though, so we would know that something is being done. Now for the details:

Today it seems faster than lately, generally

The speed of my broadband is around 13 Mb

I use Chrome as it seems to be the fastest browser there is at moment (if you think there is a better one please let us know)

But still to view a report for July it took 45 seconds to open up the report

Then to view report for January it took 1 minute 20 seconds to open up report

That is very frustrating when you are trying to do the accounts

My biggest gripe though is when you click on 'View Paypal transaction' in eBay and it takes you to the 'My account/Overview' This as well seems to be working fine today, but it has not for quite a long time. I did send an email to paypal about this, so probably something has been done in th epast few days to resolve these issues

Thanks

Login to Me Too

acomplainer
New Community Member

I have been trying to download my monthly financial sumaries. ( 2 currencies). So, far I have been at it for over well over 7 minutes. Just to view the first currency report took over 4 minutes?

Login to Me Too

baytrading1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sophie

It has been 7 months now since your last update to tell us that paypal looks at these threads. I would have thought that since as you say, paypal looks at these threads, please, please, please, can we please have an update on what is happening with the slowness of the paypal website. It is getting really frustrating for a lot of us now. We have a job to do and we are being hindered from doing it more fully as certain things take ages nout just seconds to do because of the slowness of the paypal website

Thanking you in advance

Login to Me Too

baytrading1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sophie, still no response from paypal staff to this problem

Is there any other way that we can contact paypal about this issue?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

jehzlau
Contributor
Contributor

Count me in. I have a 20MBPS connection, and Paypal.com took me a minute to load. It's really annoying. Other websites load fast, but Paypal loads extremely slow. 😞

Login to Me Too

anney
New Community Member

I have been trying to download Monthly Financial Summaries for 3 days now and it doesn't download anything just keeps saying loading--- loading---- then times me out. Come on Paypal please. I run a business - places to go -people to see- product to make  --I cant do this. Plus my accountant is waiting for this stuff to file the accounts !!!!

Login to Me Too

vlcom
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing; Every month when I try to generate the Monthly Financial Summary report it's the same thing.

System says "This may take up to 30 seconds" - what a joke... 30 HOURS would be more correct, but even that isn't enough. It just keeps loading, until eventually it stops, but no report.

This goes on for DAYS every time, until eventually, it works. 

Being a developer myself since many years, i know that that loading forever and eventually timing out has absolutely nothing to do with my system or my internet connection - it's 100% PayPal failure to code correctly and/or dimension the servers properly. The timeout is in the server end, not mine.

This has been going on for years... hopeless. But considering their reputation, I suppose no competent coders are willing to work with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.