Why is the Paypal website so slow?

ScirraTom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

New to this forum.  I'm a web developer for Scirra.com

We sell mainly via Paypal.  Logging into Paypal, searching for transactions, the entire experience is frustratingly slow.

Why is the website so slow, and what are the plans to fix it?  If it continues to be as slow as it is we're happy to find a faster service.

Here's a breakdown of normal times I observe logging in and finding a transaction:

Paypal homepage: 3.5 seconds
Login page: 11 seconds
Processing login: 7 seconds
Getting to homepage: 12 seconds
Click history: 14.5 seconds
Click find a transaction: 4 seconds
Find a transaction on email: 11.5 seconds

I would expect a website like this to load under a few seconds per page.  Clicking the history button and it taking nearly 15 seconds is unusually poor performance.  I'm not even sure how you could write the history page to take that long to load.

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

I just had a look there and logged on to my own account.

For the getting to the home page it only took 2 seconds and for logging in it only took 6.5 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing longer logins etc as ScirraTom is?

Login to Me Too

DivvyDeal
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I frequently get times that are comparable to the initial poster's times. This is the slowest website I use and having to use it on a daily basis adds to my stress levels as I have to clock watch so often.

I try to find transactions by using exact date ranges yet it still takes forever and the new Transaction finder email option is riduculous as it will only recall the last three requests and I can do maybe 3 reports in an hour so I would often lose track of these emails, as I multitask onto other jobs and leave Paypal to run.

More servers required?

Better written queries?

It is painful. Please PP throw us a bone!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

DivvyDeal, I will pass your feedback on as well.

Thank you for getting back to me, the more feedback we get the better we can try to make the site for its users.

Login to Me Too

ScirraTom
Contributor
Contributor

The site is still extremely slow, is this done purposefully to protect against attacks?  Or just slow servers?

What was the response when you send this to Paypal Lucy?

Thanks for answering.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry but never found it slow myself.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HowardSue
Contributor
Contributor
Never slow for you We all know why You are a "Home Boy" for PayPal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

So polite aren't you hun?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

baytrading1
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody from paypal ever looks at this thread, otherwise they would have done something about it by now. There is no other way you can contat paypal about this issue it seems, unless anyone knows how to contact them. I have tried sending a message but this problem does not apply to any of the options that come up when you try to contact paypal, so cannot highight it to them. It is just so frustrating that we HAVE to use paypal with ebay as otherwise sales will go down

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.