Why is my balance in US Dollars when I'm UK based?

Ali_C
Contributor
Contributor

I'm very very new to selling on Ebay and using PayPal to get funds in, although have used it for buying stuff for some time. I can't work out why my sale balance is in US Dollars when I received a payment today in GB Pounds, sold in the UK, UK bank etc. Am I registered with the wrong site or is this the norm for everyone? Help please!

Ali

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_barry

Hi Ali_C, sou8nds like your Primary balance is set to USD rather than GBP. Here’s how to change that:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Currency Balances’ under ‘Financial Information.’ (Don’t see this step? Follow the instructions below.)
  4. Select the currency you want for your primary balance.
  5. Click ‘Make Primary.’

Or

3. Click 'My money.'
  4. Click 'Currencies' beside 'PayPal balance..'
  5. Select the currency you want for your primary balance.
  6. Click ‘Make Primary.’

Your primary balance is your default currency. Your default currency is used to send and request payments.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

PayPal_barry

Hi Ali_C, sou8nds like your Primary balance is set to USD rather than GBP. Here’s how to change that:

3. Click ‘Currency Balances’ under ‘Financial Information.’ (Don’t see this step? Follow the instructions below.)
  4. Select the currency you want for your primary balance.
  5. Click ‘Make Primary.’

Or

3. Click 'My money.'
  4. Click 'Currencies' beside 'PayPal balance..'
  5. Select the currency you want for your primary balance.
  6. Click ‘Make Primary.’

Your primary balance is your default currency. Your default currency is used to send and request payments.

Login to Me Too

Ali_C
Contributor
Contributor

Hey thanks Barry, sorted immediately. I could have searched through Help for months, even years, and never got to that solution!

Login to Me Too

JContre
New Community Member

Hi

I have got the same problem, but none of the 2 options are available! Any other suggestions?

Does that mean that I have lost about £10 when I transferred the money from paypal to my account?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there JContre,

The options that Barry has above are the only steps for changing your courency.

If you are haven’t trouble seeing the options you might want to try call customer service, although they won’t be able to change it for you, they can help you locate the options.

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

Phone: 08707 307 191

Login to Me Too

jagseven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

Having the same issue (customer purchases from site in GBP) and upon arriving at PayPal page to pay invoice page the currency has changed though the amount is the same. Therefore a loss of 50% due to currency exchanges.

I have been through the steps above into "My Money" and I only have the one currency in there - GBP.

Any further ideas?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

You can also add new currencies to your balance and convert there. If you feel the currency exchange doesn’t suit now, then wait for a better exchange rate or hold the balance in EURO or USD and make your EURO/USD payments with them.

Here's how to accept money in a new currency:

2. Click 'Profile' near the top of the page.
  3. Click 'My money.'
  4. Click 'Currencies' beside 'PayPal balance.'
  5. Select the currency you want to add.
  6. Click 'Add Currency.'

Note:

• When you accept money in multiple currencies, you have multiple account balances.
  • When a buyer sends money in a currency you accept, the money automatically appears in that currency’s balance.
  • When a buyer sends money in a currency you don’t accept, you’ll be asked to ‘Accept’ or ‘Deny’ the payment. Your primary currency is the currency that you use to send and receive payments
Login to Me Too

Aleary
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there - did you manage to reslove this problem? I am having the same issue when a UK buyer makes a payment for goods on my uk site. The value when converted is 50% less.

Could you let me know if you have any more info please?

thank you very much

Alison

Login to Me Too

Aleary
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem with the payment coming through in USD.  The amount of the transaction, when converted to GPB, is half of what it should be!

Does this mean you can only transact in dollars and then make a 50% loss upon conversion to GBP??? - What's the point of that!

Any help would be greatly apreciated. I have changed currency to GBP as Primary, but tried a purchase and the summary still converted it to US dollars - CONFUSED.COM

Thanks

A

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.