Why can't I pay with my debit card?

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a new user who's only recently joined paypal. My bank account is verified and my debit card is set up on the site and was working fine until just today. When making a purchase on a website today, the only payment options were e-cheque or instant bank transfer. My debit card was working fine yesterday and always turned up as the first payment option, but now it is no longer available as a payment option for some reason?. Why can't I pay using my debit card? It worked for my first five purchases with the site (two last night and three this morning), but on my sixth purchase it stopped showing my debit card as a payment option for some reason, even though it was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning.

Is there any way to fix this problem so I can use my debit card as my payment option? I really don't want to have to pay by e-cheque if at all possible since it takes so long. the only reason I signed up my bank account was so I could use my card, since it's so easy to pay using it.

Thankyou in advance for any help!

Login to Me Too
129 REPLIES 129

beryl

How do I contact Pay Pal by phone, Iwould like to speak to someone in the old fashion time honoured way, instead of going round in circles and not making any progress. What is the phone number for Pay Pal please?

Thanks Beryl.

Login to Me Too

andykulka
New Community Member

I have had my account for years and made many payments with the same card details now its all gone and there is no card details on the account. What is happening and what should I do. I need to pay for something quick and do not want to keep entering this data and waiting ages before it can be used. Can you just reinstate from your records.

Login to Me Too

beryl

I've been paying with my debit card for weeks,  suddenly I'm being told my purchases have got to be paid by E cheque.  I don't want this

. How do I revert to paying by debit card? 

Login to Me Too

Ping

I have been using paypal almost 2 years. Now I having the same problem just the first time, my debit card is fine but the payment to the buyer still pending that's mean I need to wait longer to get the shipment.

I am not happy with this maybe to find another way to make it quicker.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you are sending signed for then you  must post within seven days of receiving payment.

If the payment is pending in a held balance untill feedback is left you should post as soon as possible in order that feedback can be received and your funds released.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there guys,

If your payment to your buyer is pending, its been sent via an eCheque.

I would ask you to make sure you have confirmed your card as having a confirmed back up funding source will significantly reduce the chance of eCheques being sent.

Both your bank account and card will have to be confirmed.

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Credit/Debit Cards’ under ‘Financial Information.’ (Don’t see this step? Follow the instructions below.)
  4. Click ‘Link and Confirm My Card.’
  5. Click ‘Save and Continue.’
Login to Me Too

maddie123
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley MadHi there , i have been using pay pal for a few years now .all of a sudden i can't pay with my debit card. i have not had this problem before .by paying with echeque it takes too long, i am already waiting for items i have bought and paid by echeque ,it is too slow . can you explain why this is happening? it seems i am not the only one !

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

There can be quite a few reasons, for starters if your payment method is defaulting to eCheque then more likely you usually pay by Instant Transfer rather than your Debit Card.

On the payment review page are you given any other funding options?

In addition, check the expiry date on your card in your profile, under 'cards', update it if needs be.

Login to Me Too

signaller
New Community Member

i have been using paypal service for last two yrs ,using debit card,first tiem my transaction did not go through yesterday.pls help

Login to Me Too

dondonkey
Contributor
Contributor

You set up a direct of which I was unaware it used my Personal Reserve that has cost a £22 penalty clause all to pay £9.79 . To say the least I am not too pleased. There should have been sufficient funds to cover this amount but your transfer of funds to me took more time than did for you to claim from my bank account

dondonkey

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.