Why can't I pay with my debit card?

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a new user who's only recently joined paypal. My bank account is verified and my debit card is set up on the site and was working fine until just today. When making a purchase on a website today, the only payment options were e-cheque or instant bank transfer. My debit card was working fine yesterday and always turned up as the first payment option, but now it is no longer available as a payment option for some reason?. Why can't I pay using my debit card? It worked for my first five purchases with the site (two last night and three this morning), but on my sixth purchase it stopped showing my debit card as a payment option for some reason, even though it was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning.

Is there any way to fix this problem so I can use my debit card as my payment option? I really don't want to have to pay by e-cheque if at all possible since it takes so long. the only reason I signed up my bank account was so I could use my card, since it's so easy to pay using it.

Thankyou in advance for any help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
129 REPLIES 129

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

Any help would be appreciated, please. I really need advice on this since I have no idea what to do...

Login to Me Too

It is strange, this just started happening to me as well.  I'm always sending my daughter money and it charges my debit card.  Now, the only option I'm given is to wait 3-5 days for an e-check to clear.  Very annoying and inconvenient.

Login to Me Too

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. After reading some of the board topics, other people seem to be having the same problem with their credit/debit cards too, but each topic i've read has turned up no help and everyone seems to be in the same situation of not knowing what's wrong, or what to do to fix it.  I don't understand why paypal would restrict users payment methods  since some use cards and find them more convenient than bank transfers. Surely, not being able to use them would deter customers from using paypal if they are that restrictive about  payment methods?

My card has the correct funds and the information on my account is correct, so I just don't understand why my card is unusable after only a few transactions.

Help us out mods, we're really stuck here!

Login to Me Too

wezzleuk
New Community Member

I am having the same problem and finally succumbed to ringing the 0871 number.

It appears that my bank account had been removed because it was one of the business's taken over by Santander who are in the process of restructuring their acquisitions and PayPal couldn't cope with that and so deleted my bank details.

Firstly, PayPal must be aware of this problem but have failed to inform their customers.

Secondly. I'm not having similar problems with all the Direct Debits that I have set up with my Bank Account (Gas, Electric etc)

Thirdly. PayPal could offer no answer to why the secondary funding wasn't used.

Finally, a tip. If you ever do ring PayPal and get stuck in the automated question and answer scam just hit the # key on your phone several times and you'll get transferred to a 'real' person.

Login to Me Too

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

To elaborate a little more on my problem, when I go to the checkout to pay, my debit card no longer shows up as a pay option. When I click to change the payment method I only get the options of bank transfer or e-cheque. The bank transfer option is whited out and can't be clicked on for some reason.

I also get this message about my card:

'Your credit card currently cannot be used to complete this transaction. To continue to use this credit card for payment please go click the Profile tab, click Credit Cards, and click'

Fore some reason it cuts off at the end, so i have no clue what it means or what to do...

It is not my bank/card's fault as I tested it on another site (not using paypal) and it worked as normal. I just don't understand why paypal let my first six payments work perfectly but stopped my card on the seventh payment for some strange reason? I hardly think it would be a security issue, since paypal would have stopped the first payment from going through, wouldn't they? The site I shopped from is safe and have used it before.

I wish I knew what was up.... I sent an email to paypal but they have not replied at all....

Login to Me Too

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou very much, PayPal_john! The thread described exactly the same problems I was having. I did receive an email from Paypal and they said the security system flagged up my card for some reason. It seems linking my card to my bank account was all I needed to do to solve the problem (which I hadn't done as my card was working fine without doing that). The Paypal team suggested the same as it  increases security and prevents the system from flagging the card/payment.  Everything works great now. At first it still kept reverting to e-check but everything is working great and i've had no problems since.

Many thanks!

Login to Me Too

zareena
New Community Member

How do I 'link' my Debit card from my bank to paypal? PLZ! HELP! TYVM.

Login to Me Too

pearly700
Contributor
Contributor

why cant i pay with my credit card

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.