Skype Communications Sarl

ltcjones
New Community Member

I received a email from PayPal advising me that a payment of $29.50 USD was paid to Skype Communications Sarl. I didn't authorize this charge, so I logged into Skype to find out how the charge was initiated. total waste of my time. Skype support is less than useless. So I logged into my PayPal account and found the billing agreement under PayPal Credit. It seems that this Billing Agreement has been in place since 2008 and has cost me over $200 USD.

I then "Googled" Skype Communications Sarl and discovered that this is an ongoing scam that has effected multiple people (several posts in Skype's community forum from people that have been ripped off by this scam. All of these people claimed that they had complained to both Skype and PayPal about this scam.

My question is: Since it is evident that PayPal knows that this vendor is a scam, why hasn't PayPal done something to revoke their access? Multiple people in the past have requested refunds from PayPal for this vendor.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_david

Hi Itcjones,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear what has happened here.

Even though you may have found some information on different forums or communities online, there isn't a specific scam as such involving PayPal and Skype.

It sounds to me that at some stage, there was a subscription created between your PayPal and Skype account. If there is a subscription created, this authorises Skype to charge your PayPal account to fund Skype credit if you are trying to top up your Skype account.

In a lot of cases where there has been unauthorised charges, the customers Skype account may have been compromised and then there is top ups done on the Skype account. This in turn would debit the funds from your PayPal account.

My best advice for you would be to call our customer services team directly on 0800 358 7911 and they can look into this further for you.

Please let us know how it goes.

David.

Login to Me Too

shirishbendre
New Community Member

Even I am scammed. Paypal has closed this case. However, I have lost $30.

So, why is Paypal not closing them out?

Login to Me Too

dbnfls
New Community Member

I had the same experience. I received a email from PayPal advising me that a payment of € 52,50 was paid to Skype Communications Sarl. I didn't authorize this charge, so I asked for a refund to Paypal and now I'm just received the confirmation for it.

Then I logged into my PayPal account and found the billing agreement under PayPal Credit. It seems that this Billing Agreement has been in place since last February and has cost me a total of € 105,00.

I then "Googled" Skype Communications Sarl and discovered that this is an ongoing scam that has effected multiple people (several posts in Skype's community forum from people that have been ripped off by this scam. All of these people claimed that they had complained to both Skype and PayPal about this scam).

My question is: Since it is evident that PayPal knows that this vendor is a scam, why hasn't PayPal done something to revoke their access? Multiple people in the past have requested refunds from PayPal for this vendor.

Login to Me Too

jeromeberenz
New Community Member

Hello,

I have just been robbed due to the exact same problem, in Sept 2016, a series of 25 EUR payments.

I am very disappointed to see that this has been an ongoing problem and that Paypal has not put the required security measures in place.

The text posted above by the Paypal moderator verges on the border of shamelessnees. 

I have just filled a transaction dispute form by Paypal, let us see what happens next.

Login to Me Too

Dave631
New Community Member

Hi,

I've just lost over $200AUD in this scam (October 4th& 5th 2016) and feel that the treatment I received from Paypal has been disgraceful. They basically denied that they had any fault, that Sarl is a reputable company and that I authorized everything so its my fault!

I can't remember the last time I used skype, its been years and like many I was shocked to find this fake authorization in my paypal account. I now have a frozen account which I am only keeping open in the hope of some compensation, but that could be years (if ever) as well.

Disgraceful and unethical from paypal!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Guys,

Welcome to jeromeberenz as a new member!

I can understand that as this has been discussed before on our forum and you have now experienced the Skype transactions you feel this is an ongoing security issue. I can ensure you that there is no scam with Skype involving PayPal.

If you have opened up a dispute against the transactions our Claims team will work towards helping you resolve this.

Thanks - Siobhan

Login to Me Too

aep123
Contributor
Contributor

I have just gone through the same problem with Paypal and Skype Communications Sarl

Have been charged over $70.00 in less than one month and have been told by Pay Pal it was a pre-arranged payment agreement. 

Login to Me Too

Il_Padrino
New Community Member

The identical thing just occurred to my account and it is clearly a scam.  I am dumbfounded how Paypal is not deactivating the Skype Communications Sarl account that is being used.  Paypal actually found in my favor and stated they have removed/broke the ability for further charges to occur between my accounts and the Skype Communications Sarl account BUT Paypal did not refund my money.  How is that even possible?

Paypal; what are you doing to correct this situation?

Login to Me Too

francine24
New Community Member

I to have been skyped and it doesn't look like I have any hope of a refund through PayPal.  Filled in the appropiate unauthorized activity claim but haven't even received an acknowlegment from PayPal. 

Now my computer doesn't have the build capabilities to run Skype or even a phone link so why would I sign up for Skype?. 

PayPal is about as secure as a busted lock on a barn door.  This Skype scam is run by hackers based in India gaining access to your PayPal account through your own computer.  Once they gain access the withdrawals on your account will continue.  Changing PayPal passwords is about as usefull as udders on a bull.  All they need is your Email or PayPal user ID, they're then able to hack your current password, which for them, comes up in a list, together with all your old passwords, they select the latest, log in and submit the invoice. 

I have witnessed a demostration of this actually being done [with the right program it's so easy]  but the fact remains if PayPal is not prepared to do anything about these scamers, my advice is to dump PayPal forthwith. 

Use another pay service.  There's plenty of them in the market now, so why stick with an uncooperative company who seems to favor extracting a good deal of profit out of scammers. 

Dump PayPal and get your computer cleaned out. Now.  Which is what I intend to do,  but in the meantime I've removed my credit card number from circulation whilst I await for a new card, so hopefully any future invoices from Skype on my PayPal account will be rejected.

Incidently, directly contacting Skype from a hacked computer only generates a reply with a phoney written docket  from Microsoft Skype saying they are refering you for a claim back amount, quoting an unbelievable claim number.   Unbelievable indeed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.