Scam email

bytor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have received an email purportedly from paypal to DearPaypal Customer. It contains a html. attachment to download as zip. It requests I open this file, fill in required information and update or my account will be frozen. Failure to do so before Sept. 17,2013 will result in my account being frozen. Is this email legit?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No they are trying to hijack your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER address you as Dear Customer etc, they always call you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Also they NEVER tell you to enter sensitive financial or log in info via a link in an email or a downloaded attachment in one.

Delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No they are trying to hijack your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER address you as Dear Customer etc, they always call you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Also they NEVER tell you to enter sensitive financial or log in info via a link in an email or a downloaded attachment in one.

Delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bytor
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler

Thanks, really did not like the look of that one.

Login to Me Too

Fulloflife
Contributor
Contributor

Just to let you know that I received an email yesterday, addressing me by my first name. It mentioned about downloading the software to use as an App. At the end of the email it commented that PayPal would always address me by my first name and last name, I phoned up Paypal to say that Paypal had made a mistake in the email - so imagine my surprise when they told me that it was a spoof email. I hadn't opened anything as I am quite aware of this sort of thing but this seemed a little too genuine to be comfortable. I obviously did forward the email to Paypal and deleted the email off my computer.

Login to Me Too

BADR7887
New Community Member

I always recieve scamm paypal 

Login to Me Too

Rhoda519
If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox. If you‘ve responded to a fraudulent email and believe your PayPal account may now have been accessed, you should report the unauthorised access immediately. This was on the help pages - admit I had to search for FRAUD not suspicious email, perhaps if PayPal made their search terms more user friendly we would all be able to find the information we needed without as long searching for it!
Login to Me Too

Tolkny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for giving the address needed to Forward suspicious emails for investigation.

spoof@paypal.co.uk

Unless messages are notified to the PayPal folk there is little likelihood they will be stopped.

A Spoof Email I received today was very convincing.

I would never click on any Email with a link back to Paypal for fear of having not recognised a convincing fraud.

I always contact Paypal by visiting the website https://www.paypal.com

Login to Me Too

DJGRIZ
New Community Member

I received this fishing email, if any mods are interested in tracking the culprit down. Here are the details copied and pasted directly (i have added the AT in the email address as can't be posted here):

Subject: New Payment To Skype !
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:16:06 +0100

You sent a payment of 42.98 GBP to Skype (support (AT) skype.com)

Merchant
support (AT) skype.com Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions. Shipping address - Unconfirmed
United Kingdom Postage details
The seller hasn’t provided any postage details yet. Description Unit price Qty Amount Online Number, 3 month subscription 42.98 GBP 1 42.98 GBP Subtotal 42.98 GBP Total42.98 GBP

If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:xxxx

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines.

Login to Me Too

Tolkny
Contributor
Contributor

Am concerned that email is posted here because it looks as if it has a live link to a suspect web page.

It would be best immediately removed and the email forwarded to : -  spoof@paypal.com

I URGE OTHERS NOT TO CLICK THAT LINK

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.