Scam email from PayPal

Sparky300
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I received this email this morning, I nearly put the information they wanted as this site was so convincing. PayPal Customer, Your 10.04 GBP payment made for the game FarmVille on Facebook Inc. is being processed. Because of our geographic detector recorded this payment as being made from an unknown ip we had to put the payment on hold. If you did not authorize this payment and you want to cancel, please login and complete the form requested. http://www.paypal.co.uk Thank you for your understanding. PayPal, Protection Department.
Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

LondonStorm

It appears that this is still a current problem, as I have received a similar e-mail from netvisao in pretence of being from PayPal. I received thre on 10/08, all of which I forwarded to spoof@paypal.co.uk. Today I have received another, done the same, and also sent a warning to all my contacts through Facebook

Surely, PayPal should be putting out some sort of warning, themselves??

SC

Login to Me Too

bonnyportmore2
Contributor
Contributor
Just a quick addition to warn that another fraudulent email is doing the rounds. I just forwarded it to Paypal's 'Spoof' address. This one is cc'ed to a long list of users. Paypal would never do this as doing so reveals Users' email addresses - personal information - to other users/parties. Like always you are asked to follow a link in the email to login to a fake Paypal site which you should never do. Better to save the genuine Paypal address to your browser favourites. Just sharing this in the hope it saves someone the grief. Thanks for the heads up to the people who've contributed to this thread before! 🙂
Login to Me Too

denysemarst1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the number of scam emails I am receiving from supposedly Pay Pal, these have been for a number of reasons, unusual activity on account seems to be a favourite, however I have also received Pay Pal receipts for transactions for lots of money which are not mine.

At first I was a little taken in and then remembered that the email the scams were coming from was not the email address I use for my paypal account, a quick check on my account proved to me it was a scam.

Make no mistake these emails look very genuine, so be aware, do what I do, use another email address for your paypal and so if it comes to the wrong one you can certainly know that it is a scam, also if you get them on the address that you do use for paypal it will make you more aware.

If you ever get one of these scams, the best thing to do is to log on to paypal and look for the transaction, or look to see if your account has been 'frozen' when it isn't you know it's a scam.

Unfortunately I have only just seen that I should have forwarded the emails to paypal, I didn't know this and just marked it as a phishing scam, I will forward them next time. Just be aware of all this and you should be fine.

Login to Me Too

gamjgamj
New Community Member

I received a very similar email today. ...

#-Dear Member,

#-Your 62.97 GBP payment made for the game FarmVille on Facebook Inc. is being processed.

#-Because of our geographic detector recorded this payment as being made from an unknown ip we had to put the payment on hold.

#-If you did not authorize this payment and you want to cancel, please click here:  http://internetppluseronlineuk.from-va.com/paypaloginserver/accessserverinternet/

#-Thank you for your understanding.

Luckily when I clicked on the link my Malwarebytes software blocked anything happening (phew). In fact I've been a victim of ID fraud recently and feared it had recurred. Lucky I have good anti-malware.

Login to Me Too

deejay2ksa
Contributor
Contributor

I've just received a similar email, I've sent it to PayPal for their review and deleted it. This how mine read :

#Dear Member,

#Your 64.95 GBP payment made for the game FarmVille on Facebook Inc. is being processed.

#Because of our geographic detector recorded this payment as being made from an unknown ip we had to put the payment on hold.

#If you did not authorize this payment and you want to cancel, please click here: http://alertupateuserppintlppl.from-wv.com/paypaloginserver/accessserverinternet/

#Thank you for your understanding.

Login to Me Too

A2prosper
Contributor
Contributor
I got the same email and. Early Panicked! Check your accounts!!!!!! Delete the email! Do not be fooled! #pastvictim
Login to Me Too

PMHodson
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved the exact same email on 8th Dec.....doing alot of online xmas shopping so not surprised. They wanted over £60! Forward your scam email to spoof@paypal.co.uk

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.