Scam email..facebook payment

ratwoman
New Community Member

Hi,

I just looked at my emails and found an email from paypal, saying i had made a payment in euros to facebook, and if i wanted a refund to click on the link to paypal. My computer warned me this was a site that may have viruses. So if anyone else receives an email like it, be warned. This is not from paypal and will direct you to a page like paypal and wanting you to log in. I knew this was not the proper paypal site as my details are saved for logging in.

Ratwoman.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

piestalker
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've just had the same email as well.

It looks official,I cut and pasted text below.

You sent a payment of 28.69 GBP to Skype? (orders@Skype?uk)

Shipping address - Unconfirmed
United Kingdom Postage details
The seller hasn’t provided any postage details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount Online Number 28.69 GBP 1 28.69 GBP
If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:

Pay Pal Dispue Centre 

The actual email is In paypal format colours and looks official.
Login to Me Too

piestalker
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've just had the same email as well.

It looks official,I cut and pasted text below.

You sent a payment of 28.69 GBP to Skype? (orders@Skype?uk)

Shipping address - Unconfirmed
United Kingdom Postage details
The seller hasn’t provided any postage details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount Online Number 28.69 GBP 1 28.69 GBP
If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:

Pay Pal Dispue Centre 

The actual email is In paypal format colours and looks official.
Login to Me Too

piestalker
Contributor
Contributor

I've just had a similar one informing me i've just paid Skype  £28.00.

It's in Paypal format colours and looks very official.

No money has come out of my account as yet,but it's got me worried.

Login to Me Too

PollaghAB

Hi

I received an email today, similar to others posted here, saying that my paypal account was charged £27.99 to pay Facebook.  The email struck me as dodgy straight away as it was addressed Dear Customer, and then took me to an Italian website to see details of how to resolve the fraud...www.generalidibrescia.it

The Italian website also shows copyright 1999-2012, but the actual Paypal.com site reads 1999-2013.

Shall I address this directly to Paypal customer care?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Awinner2
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this message with the scam link. The link page does not have the secure (in green with padlock closed) webpage.

By all means report this to paypal.

I sent a suitably phrased text reply but they have cloned the mailbox as well so the reply was rejected!

Login to Me Too

LaurenTttt
New Community Member

I got this email, funny thing is that it was sent to my other email account, one that I have never used to make a paypal account or ever given to paypal. So I knew right away it was dodgy. Also stupid that it comes from a wikihow email address. I hightly doubt that Paypal or facebook would have a wikihow address.

Login to Me Too

sylv
New Community Member

Re scam emails for skype and facebook payments, i don`t think that paypal would make the mistake of the misspelling in their email`s!!!!! not noticeable unless you look closely. also is Paypal one word not two?

Login to Me Too

jimmyad
New Community Member

Received fake e mail from "paypal" regarding payment to facebook which i deleted witout giving any information,but on checking my credit card account i find two payments for adverts to facebook ireland ,with the result i have had to cancel my cars on the advice of the bank,now i have received 2 mails purported to come from paypal since i informed them of the situation

at this stage i dont know which e mails are genuine and which are not.

Login to Me Too

Libbyextra
New Community Member

I have had similar over the past 24 hours. First I discovered odd changes to my Facebook account a few dayss ago relating to advertising I had not authorised. So I contacted them and cancelled everything. Then tonight noticed an email that looked dodgy saying they had done a paypal transaction for $100  to aaccount Facebook  Ireland Ltd with what I immediately thought was spoof an email..

I knew this was immediately fraudulent as I had aleady changed every and reported this to Facebook. Nonetheless when I then used the proper PayPal login page to get into my account I could see they had somehow managed to put the $100 transaction through!! While it hasnn't gone through my bank yet I waanted to let them know.. I am livid as I discovered this at 11pm on Saturday night and  can't get on to my bank or FaceBook Fraud team until morning! Its so upsetting as these criminals are learning ways all the time to steal from these sites and we are at painns to stop lthem!

I will try to post how all this turns out tomorrow! Woman Sad

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.