Scam Email regarding payment to Skype Inc

Pam06
New Community Member

Paypal users please beware of a scam Email regarding payments to Skype Inc.  I have just received an Email supposedly from Paypal regarding payment for 3 months subscriptin to Skype Inc.  The Email states that if you have not authorised this payment then please click on "cancel payment" button.

Please ignore this Email as I do not believe this is from Paypal as it does not state my name, ebay membership or Email address as the recipient - it simply welcomes the Paypal Client.

Also when I clicked on cancel payment it redirected me to another site which I immediately closed without entering any personal details.

Thanks Pam

Login to Me Too
170 REPLIES 170

janya
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for this, I too received it today and as it was so different to the normal spam emails I was worried.
Login to Me Too

Vixen99921
Contributor
Contributor
I've just received an email supposedly from PayPal stating - You sent a payment of £ 63.29 to Skype (Support @ Skype.com) Must be a scam as there is no such transaction on my PayPal accPayPal I also received one a couple of weeks ago stating - Notice to __________, Your PayPaI account has been Iimited because we've noticed significant changes in your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better. This account Iimitation will affect your ability to: send or receive money withdraw money Also, you won't be able to: remove any bank accounts remove credit cards close your account What to do next Please log in to your PayPaI account and provide the requested information before March 31, 2015 through the Account Review. If we don't receive the information before this deadline or we notice additional significant changes in your account activity, your account access may be further Iimited. I sincerely hope PayPal is not leaking users info... I forwarded both emails to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM Thanks for posting as I wasnt sure if they were real or not as they look like official genuine emails!
Login to Me Too

Bert3015
New Community Member

Hi, I have also recieved what I believe is a scam email regarding 3 months subscription to Skype which I have NOT signed up for, the payment is for £54.99 and provides a link to a resolution center where I guess they will ask for my log on details, NOT A CHANCE !! The email address listed on my email is pay.pal 3476304 @ hotmail . com, no trace of this on any search engines . Hope this helps others and be aware !! Bert

Login to Me Too

Jason81
Contributor
Contributor

Received this email today!!!

It says it's from  amandacoupland (at) hotmail.co.uk

Login to Me Too

karln
New Community Member

i got same email today for £63.00

reported it to paypal.

Login to Me Too

JakeM
New Community Member

I have had the same style of email myself just now stating a payment has been made to skype for a 3 month subscription at the cost of £39. I was shocked at this so I went on my PayPal app to check if it was legit or not, there was a link on the bottom of the mail to say if I wanted to dispute this payment then I should click on the following link which appeared to be the PayPal resolution centre but I imagine that this would take me to another website asking for me to log in etc!!

After logging in to PayPal through the app I saw there was no such payment, which clearly means SCAM!!!

As many others on here have said I thought it was a scam as there was no reference to my name, email, ebay name etc. 

It is worrying just how real these email look and I can see why some people get tripped up by them. Surely something can be done about this style of Phishing as it has been going on for some time, for instance this thread started around 4/5 years ago!

Cheers 

Jake

Login to Me Too

Maria-N
New Community Member

I got this email today, so just to let you know it's still doing the rounds!!!!!

You sent a payment of 39.00 GBP to Skype 

If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:

(......link here removed) and get a full refund.

Login to Me Too

Nerad1977
New Community Member

I too had this email but it gave me an order number ?

It was titled Pal Pay ...... Defo made me suspect 

@Pam06 wrote:

Paypal users please beware of a scam Email regarding payments to Skype Inc.  I have just received an Email supposedly from Paypal regarding payment for 3 months subscriptin to Skype Inc.  The Email states that if you have not authorised this payment then please click on "cancel payment" button.

Please ignore this Email as I do not believe this is from Paypal as it does not state my name, ebay membership or Email address as the recipient - it simply welcomes the Paypal Client.

Also when I clicked on cancel payment it redirected me to another site which I immediately closed without entering any personal details.

Thanks Pam

Login to Me Too

sulan
New Community Member

Just received the same email stating £39 payment made from paypal re 3 month skype subscription, and to click on link to open dispute. 

I didn't click anywhere but went straight into my paypal account to check if any such payments were made.... suprise, surprise, no payments made to skype, so it's deffo a SCAM. 

PAYPAL! Get this scam email REMOVED!

I work on my mac everyday so am pretty much on the ball with these scams, but what about those who do fall prey to these?! 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Sulan,

We understand the concern. Could you please forward this email to spoof@paypal.co.uk?

As these emails are not sent by us, it would be helpful if you can share it with our team using that email address.  They will investigate this further. You can find more on how to identify fake emails  here

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.