cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING CARS ON GUMTREE-SCAM TO WATCH FOR!!!

265 REPLIES
New Community Member

Re: SELLING CARS ON GUMTREE-SCAM TO WATCH FOR!!!

I received email and text from same number last night +61428465117 Hello thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap..

Re: SELLING ON GUMTREE-SCAM TO WATCH FOR!!!

Today I received an text msg from a Sharon Hair asking if my couch which I'd advertised on Gumtree was still available. He/she said I had to email them at a hotmail address. I thought it odd she didn't call. I advised her it was & she said she lived remotely, couldn't come to see the couch but was happy to buy it & would be sending a courier. She wanted to know if I had a PayPal a/c. I didn't give her my a/c details but she has my mobile number & email. I'm assuming she cannot access my a/c. I had the good sense to google the name Sharon Hair & was taken to this thread with others advising of having had the same experience. I advised her I've reported her to Gumtree "to be safe" & that is she's genuine she shouldn't be concerned. Creepy. I think I'll go back to eBay! Seems safer somehow.
New Community Member

Just had the same when trying to sell my car. Received a text message saying 'I'm interested email me at...' Thought it was a bit odd asking to email him instead of just calling but some people can be a bit funny I guess about giving out their mobile number etc. 

I told him the car was still available and he asked for some more details...how long have I had it, last service etc. After replying with the information I then got the same reply as everyone else...I'm happy and want to pay by Paypal now please send me your details. Twigged at this point it was a scam, confirmed after a quick google and finding this thread! Thanks to all for posting their experiences. 

One thing to note, instead of appearing to come from a random mobile number, the original text message appeared as from 'bernaggio' with no number attached. So it looks like they're now masking the numbers. Email appeared to be from 'David Lucas'  - david2bd at gmail.com

Luckily I used my spam email account to converse with him! Still off to change the password to be safe. 

New Community Member

I've just had the same number contact me about a room to rent off Gumtree. He called himself "alpa" and said, "i am ready to rent ur GumtreeRoom pls kindly send me the picture and the price to my email (yaminguaATgmailDOTcom) please i prefer email"

Cheeky blighter

Tags (1)
New Community Member

I've just recieved an SMS from this number for a set of alloy wheels I'm selling for my daughter. Message was to email dunnowottodo(at)googlemail.com.

I suspected it was a scam so used a sandbox email account to make contact, the person "Julia Paige" claimed to be in the RAF and was currently training recruits in Search and Evasion so could not collect but if I passed on my PayPal details and full name and address she would arrange collection. When I asked "her" to call to confirm arrangements (note I did not give over any details - I was already suspicious) "she" replied she was unable to access a phone. 

So someone is able to use the internet to look on Gumtree, and use email but not have access to a phone. 

anyway, reported to Gumtree and thought I would add it here as well. Also the SMS seems to originate from Australia

New Community Member

I just got exactly the same email from Sharon Morgan!  I'm glad I googled it!!!  How can they steal money from you from Paypal???

Thanks for getting back to me, i'm located at(30 Lewisham Road, London, Se10 8fl,United Kingdom) but presently out of town, due to the nature of my job) actually i want to purchase this for my In-law, i will like to purchase at the listed price so  that you won't sell to another person.i really have interest in buying it for my In-law and i'm not within your premises to pay cash,and PayPal is my only option which i think you accept,or if you can open a PayPal account, I'll be very happy to go on with this transaction? can you get the account ready.

New Community Member

The same thing has just happened to me! Claimed they were called Sharon Morgan from London, said they would transfer the money straight over for a car I was selling on gumtree. And claimed they were buying it for an in-law who lived in Turkey, asked for a home address to get the car picked up and shipped. BEAWARE!!!! Their number is +19518883614. Do not give any details!!
Tags (2)
New Community Member

I have just had the exact same set of emails:

Thanks for getting back to me, i'm located at(30 Lewisham Road, London, Se10 8fl,United Kingdom) but presently out of town, due to the nature of my job) actually i want to purchase this for my In-law, i will like to purchase at the listed price so that you won't sell to another person.i really have interest in buying it for my In-law and i'm not within your premises to pay cash,and PayPal is my only option which i think you accept,or if you can open a PayPal account, I'll be very happy to go on with this transaction? can you get the account ready.

Kindly locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my paypal account which is sharonmorgan..... once I receive your money request from paypal, I will submit payment to you immediately via paypal asap

don't worry about that when i have you paid
a shipper will come for it and pick all the paper works will be
done once they get to you..kindly get back to me with your paypal details
for me to have you paid also the pick up can be arranged as soon as we
finalize the deal.
Tags (1)
New Community Member

Thanks for everyone for posting this

We have just been contacted by a Paul from the same number 0428465177

wanted to purchase our car urgently off gumtree. couldnt work out the scam but my boss recommended we search buying cars paypal scam on google & I found a fair bit.

Still cant work out the scam, but their obviously texting off a website as the phone doesnt even ring if you try to ring the number back & looking at paypals security terms you arent covered if they come and pick the item up.

so cheers guys, I knew it was a scam but just couldnt figure out if I was being too cynical & untrusting & now I know I was right.