cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING CARS ON GUMTREE-SCAM TO WATCH FOR!!!

New Community Member

Re: SELLING CARS ON GUMTREE-SCAM TO WATCH FOR!!!

Selling my car on Gumtree like others, however received email traffic about buying over Paypal.  When it came to it they could not pay the pickup agent directly due to a western transfer issue. They wanted to pay me and additional £200 so that I pay the pick up agent on collection of the car. feeling unconfortable I googled the occurance.

Thanks to this forum I never went throught the sale.

Avoid email traffic form a Michael Dudley email address - ingoditrust707'at'gmail.com

New Community Member

I had exactly the same thing today when I placed an ad on Auto Trader. Guy said he worked on an oil rig and would send a courier to collect and would pay by PayPal if I could provide my details. No idea how the scam works but will ignore him - thanks for the warning!
New Community Member

I have just had the same thing happen to me when selling a bike.  Said he worked for (NZOG).    Was just about to give him my bank details when I google where he worked.   Thankyou people you have just saved me.  I have now e-mail them and told them I won't be selling the car to them

New Community Member

I have had the same thing from SarahJolly.  Thanks for posting you have saved me time and frustration!

New Community Member

Got the same email from an Ian Archibald 0221. Texted and sent email. Lucklily for my pc's security system it blocked automatically. OMG and here I thought there was at least one potential buyer..... So annoyed. 

New Community Member

Not just cars; BEWARE OF HELOISE RAMOS!!! i advertised a sofa and chair on Gumtree yesterday and within an hour I had a txt from "Gumtree Ad" asking "is the sofa still for sale" , i replied yes and the pantomime started; will pay the full asking price but cant come to view as house bound with hearing loss and recovering from heart surgery! sound familliar? another email - will i send additional pictures and the pick up address for the courier bla bla bla...... 

I dont know what we can do to stop this happening but i am going to report it to Gumtree, paypal etc...

sarahjolly64 at gmail com - FRAUD!!!! Great!please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Me: The van at the moment is located in E16 (east London), unfortunately I haven't got a paypal account but you could tranfer the funds straight to my bank account and as soon as the funds are cleared I will release the van to your courier Regards I'm sorry i am disabled and i have limited access to cash and other paymeI'm sorry i am disabled and i have limited access to cash and other payment methods. You can setup a PayPal account at <a href="http://www.paypal.com" target="_blank">www.paypal.com</a> it's very safe and secure. Also it's very easy to set up within few minutes.nt methods. You can setup a PayPal account at <a href="http://www.paypal.com" target="_blank">www.paypal.com</a> it's very safe and secure. Also it's very easy to set up within few minutes. Me: I just spoke to paypal and they told me that it is not that safe after all to receive the payments through paypal, if you really interested in the van please find other means of paying Regards NO REPLY AFTER THIS EMAIL
New Community Member

Same thing... Grogan Silcock strikes again... offering me more for my wedding dress than I asked for along with alleging to put 200quid in my account for me to transfer for shipping... too good to be true. Scam.

New Community Member

Watch out for a Thomas Evans as we have just had the same email about being in the Marine's blah blah blah within 10 minutes of posting our car for sale via Gumtree.

New Community Member

Hi Folks

More names to add to the watch list -RICHARD MARXX and LUCAS PARKER.