Refund after fraud

Noormiah
Contributor
Contributor
I got scammed by this person on alibaba.com and i used paypal as my payment method because i though if anything went wrong i would get my money back. Well the scammer told me that she sent the wrong package to me so i will HAVE to pay for the extra that she ordered to me. She first told me shes going to send my package through dhl or fed ex but then sent the package through a company named 'exel frieght services' where it can be tracked. At the moment the tracking in this unknown website says the package is on 'hold' but its been like that for over a month now. I contacted paypal, opened a dispute, claimed etc and then paypal turns around and says they cant give my money back after this scam because it was not a physical item which can be posted etc so i messaged paypal and told them they got it wrong and the packages are actual physical items(phones) then paypal tells me they cant give me a refund because she sent the packages through exel frieght services. And all im thinking is, 'how am i meant to control what they sent the packages through' etc. i got scammed $1500, please someone help me!!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would get back to paypal as that is a daft reason.

Its the seller that has to prove delivery with a tracking number not you that has to justify how they sent it >>>

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would get back to paypal as that is a daft reason.

Its the seller that has to prove delivery with a tracking number not you that has to justify how they sent it >>>

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Noormiah
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. After i told paypal what happened, i also included the tracking number and website. I believe that the seller told paypal the same thing and after that paypal did not do nothing at all. After i emailed paypal asking them whats happening, they said that they do not work with that shipping company. I will phone them up later like you told me to, but what if they say the same thing? I just lost $1500 to a scammer. Would there be a way to talk to someone in a higher position in paypal to investigate my case Properly? Thank you.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I suspect they think when you phoned them up that you were the seller and not the buyer.

The seller would be told what you were told not the buyer.

If you get through or use facebook etc then ask for a supervisor.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Noormiah
Contributor
Contributor
Would you know if it will take another month for the investigation? I messages them on facebook as they are closed via phone today.
Login to Me Too

pizzadelfin
Contributor
Contributor

Must say one thing : I have recently sent dozens of mails to Paypal and by what I get as reply I really start wondering if a real human being reads what we write . I mean , it is obvious that whomever or whatever  that deals with my mails  do not read or perhaps do not understand english . 

I receive continously the standarized replies inviting to consult some part of the paypal website .

It is actually because of that it found the written proof that Payapl ruled against me in complete contradition of their own rules . Still ... no relpy of paypal is directly dealing or refrring to whayt I wrote .

Waste of time and momey .

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Emailing does seem to be a waste of time that is why I advise folks to contact them via the phone or via facebook or twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dbernstein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'd be glad to know whether you have had any further luck with this.

I'm having a similar problem - I was defrauded by someone who claims they delivered my iPad by UPS but the UPS tracking number isn't recognised by UPS.

When I raised a dispute/claim to Paypal they replied saying it was a virtual/digital item and they only protect items which can be tracked so my claim was closed - and can't be re-opened except for an entirely new reason! 

I then emailed Paypal highlighting the fact that this is clearly just simply factually incorrect, and though I received an acknowledgement email saying I'd get a response in 24-48hrs from Paypal, it's now 4 days on and I haven't had a reply. 

i'm now filing a complaint to paypal.

I'm quite amazed at how rubbish Paypal are being, because I would have thought that Paypal's business model depends upon people feeling confident in the Paypal protection scheme.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why use the slowest least efficient way of contacting paypal and then wondering why you have not had the problem resolved.

Try this >>>

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dbernstein
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use the phone option because I have a busy job and family and I don't have time to hang on for 30 minutes (which is what's happened the two times I've used that route so far). Also, calls from mobiles are not free.

Their 'contact us' email option makes a fairly modest promise to reply within 48hrs so it really shouldn't be beyond them to stick to this.

I hadn't considered Facebook/Twitter though - might try that next, thanks for suggestion.

@kernowlass wrote:

Why use the slowest least efficient way of contacting paypal and then wondering why you have not had the problem resolved.

Try this >>>

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK@ and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.