Received a payment notification email but my account still says pending

chris-mann
Contributor
Contributor

I received an e-mail from paypal saying that the person who I am selling something to on ebay has payed me. However I have not received any money on paypal. The 'payments received' part is still empty and it still has pending as a status. It also still gives me the option to send them a reminder. My ebay account also says awaiting payment. can anyone help?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I am 100% this is a scam.

The email you received was not from paypal and this is a typical Nigerian scam.

People in Nigeria cannot have a paypal account.

The real ebayer in Manchester will have had his ebay account hacked.

They send the email and pretend that either you have been paid....when you haven't or that your payment will only be released once you have shipped the item and sent paypal the tracking number.

Ignore future emails and delete them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Is this an international transaction and is the buyer in Nigeria.

If not then you need to check the email addy is correct on your auction details but confirm the above first.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

chris-mann
Contributor
Contributor

On ebay the original address was in Manchester, but they now want me to send it to Nigeria to a different person.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I am 100% this is a scam.

The email you received was not from paypal and this is a typical Nigerian scam.

People in Nigeria cannot have a paypal account.

The real ebayer in Manchester will have had his ebay account hacked.

They send the email and pretend that either you have been paid....when you haven't or that your payment will only be released once you have shipped the item and sent paypal the tracking number.

Ignore future emails and delete them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Oh and don't forget to file a non paying bidder report on ebay to get your final value fee credited.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

chris-mann
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you this was very helpful

Login to Me Too

sarah27
New Community Member

can someone help me, i was elling my phone on gumtree and they said they wanted it and to use paypal, i gave them my email account and i got an email saying payment paided but i cant see it... and this was sent from and woman call nicola bells but wants me to send the phone to someone nigeria.... 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you read my post above i have already answered this..........its a scam.

1. Folks in Nigeria can't own a paypal account.

2. They send you a fake paypal email that tell you that you have been paid..........you haven't, and that paypal are holding the payment until you provide them with a tracking number..........paypal don't do that.

Paypal NEVER expect you to send an item BEFORE that payment is showing in your paypal account.  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

annawelly
New Community Member

This has happened to me with the 4 last payments. I dont think they are in nigeria?

Anna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.