Paypal refunded buyer, but returned item not received.

johnnyha
New Community Member

I had a distpute with a buyer which paypal resolved by refunding the buyer's money on the basis that the item would be sent back.

The item has not been received, and when I have queried this, I am provided with a tracking number but no idea of the shipping service used, or the address sent to.

So the bottom line is that buyer may well still have the item but his money has been refunded. I don't know how to move on from this very frustrating position.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

taothich
New Community Member

I sold a brand new IPhone charging dock, customer claimed it did not work, probably manufacturer's defective item. I accepted a return for full refund. After contacting Paypal, the customer denied to return the item:       

"Just talked to Paypay and they said you did not want the broken radio back so I had UPS to void the shipping .  It is now in the UPS trash can.  UPS gave me some of the shipping cost back.  This has not been any fun for me."

The refund has been on hold at Paypal. My question is what happens next? How long will the hold be kept at Paypal if there is no evidence that the item is returned?

What happend if the customer provided a fake return (i.e she sends back an empty package with real tracking number, and once the tracking's status is "delivered", then Paypal automatically refunded to the buyer?

Login to Me Too

Stiamh
New Community Member

This is all very disconcerting. I am not a trade or 'power' seller. I sell the odd item that my household has no use for rather than it go to landfill.
I sold a used bedframe (with photos) on ebay, the buyer was local and asked mt to end the auction early for £50, the beds original cost was £500, albeit 10 years ago - but is in good servicable condition.

She got the item collected and then bombarded us with texts, some quite threatening, voicing her dissatisfaction. I asked her to return the item and i would refund - she has threatened to call to my house to 'see what liars look like' - she has me at a disadvantage as she has my home address and i do not have hers.
She raised a claim via paypal - I have agreed, as I did previously, to refund once returned.

I know for a fact that she will not return it. So I am going to be out of pocket as I cannot resell the item if i don't get it back.

I haver to ask myself 'is it worth the hassle?'

Login to Me Too

Rujaxso

A buyer opened a case ( In PayPal not Ebay) and said the Blue-Ray player I sent him/her was not working.

I followed Ebay's policy and told him/her to return it and I'll issue a refund. Pay-Pal issued a full refund before

there was even a tracking number (which there isnt since he/she hasnt returned it or looks to have attempted to)

She even put in the PayPAl complaint that it was damaging her plants. What does a blueray player have to do with your plants?

It makes me wonder if paypal lets bots go through the messages and just accepts random stuff and always sides with the buyer. Now the theif gets to keep the money AND the product. They know what they are doiing and will keep doing it as long as they can get away with it. I tried to send an appeal but it only has 3 options to select that have no bearing on my problem.

I  selected one and typed my problem into the box anyways and it comes back as " we checked with the buyer and the case has already been submitted". Basically asking the buyer if its okay to open the case. This makes no sense at all. This makes me want to stop using paypal and ebay both. Especially since I cant trust my money in paypals hands.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi Rujaxso,

Welcome to our Community Forum.

Sorry to hear about this recent experience with a claim.

We find every case is different and I think it might be best if you contact us through other social media channels here so we can help you with this.

I'm afraid we don't have access to account specific information through the Forum you see and contacting us elsewhere would give us the opporuntiy to pull up your account and take a closer look at that claim.

We are available 24/7 to answer private messages sent through our Facebook page (http://goo.gl/4BO8de) and respond swiftly to any tweets directed towards @AskPayPal!

Hope that helps Rujaxso,

Conor

Login to Me Too

laura2005

Hi Conor,

I am - sadly just as many other here - in position where PayPal sided with the buyer: the buyer claims to have sent the goods back due to "not as described" and provided a FedEx tracking number. This tracking number is not correct and the goods never reached back (they have been sent our apparently over 45 days ago). We have tried twice to contact buyer by email kindly asking for a valid tracking but got no reply. 30 days after claiming to have returned the goods, the customer filed a claim to PayPal which was decided in his favor, by th reason that we do not qualify for Seller Protection and money took away from our PayPal account.

Problems here:

- seller protection does not apply anyway to goods not as described

- PayPal did not check with the customer if we got the goods back or did not care to check

So we are left without 940 USD (value of the goods) and requsted and extra of 60 USD in taxes - even though we have proved by all means that we are of good faith. 

Some PayPal representative please reply, this situation does not even respect PayPal's own User Agreement!

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

kamar1991
Contributor
Contributor

yes! its my problem! please paypal heeelp!!!!!! 

Login to Me Too

mmschock
Contributor
Contributor

This same thing happened to me.

Paypal SAYS to call-- but if you call, they just say "I am sorry we cannot help you" they said they would do a coutreousy email to attempt to get the item back--- that is it! 

SO-- I called again and asked to speak to a supervior and then a manager-- and the manager was awesome-- she completely rectified the situation. It sucks I had to sit on hold for about an hour to get there, but appreacite it none the less. She was polite and helpful. Everyone else I spoke to, completely unhelpful and quite rude.

Login to Me Too

Emperors-tailor
Contributor
Contributor

Ebay & Paypal are happy as they see this as a resolution.

Buyer keeps the goods. Ebay & Paypal keep their fees. Seller gets totally stuffed.

You may get obscure advice by pacifiers on these boards. You may believe they have strange affiliations with the parent company and never really provide answers just parables from the company bible.

Pacifiers are called dummys in the UK they are used only to soothe but ofetn cause decay. 

Login to Me Too

md_shamz
New Community Member

I recently purchased urBeats earphone from Ebay, the seller described it as fully functioning for my device and that it was a brand new product. When the item arrived it seemed like a defect product, it had marks on it, and it definately wasn't fuctioning as stated on sellers description. 

As a result I filed a claim requesting for a refund which I have successfully recieved. However, there was no information on returning the item back to the seller. So i emailed the seller asking for an address to return the item but he/she has not replied back yet, shockingly, I say shockingly because the seller responded quicker to my claim than this email. 

I honestly feel sorry for those honest sellers and shame on PayPal and Ebay for treating sellers like complete *****. Sellers should have the same rights as consumers and protection for ther goods. 

I will not get any richer by keeping someones assets worth less than £50, so I will do whatever it takes to return the item to the seller as I have recieved my money. Whether it's a defect or authentic product it doesn't matter anymore as it is not mine no longer.

Have a blessed day everyone 😄     Peace, love, unity. 

Login to Me Too

MrTom1
New Community Member

I sent an item of the value of £240 pounds by royal mail, tracked and signed for.
Buyer immediately paid and item was delivered next day and signed for.
5 days after this paypal refunded the buyer due to ''being used without the account owner's permission.
The item was delivered and signed for, I received the money which I spent some of after I had confirmation of the delivery
Where do I stand with this as I cant get any help from ebay or paypal ?

Oh the ebay messages said MC139 alert as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.