Paypal and Gmail/Googlemail Issue

AshleyN
New Community Member

Hello everyone. 

My Paypal account was originally set up with a "googlemail.com" email address but I changed my primary address to the same email address "gmail.com" when Google decided to update everyones accounts. This is still my primary address for Paypal and the one associated with my eBay seller account. 

I recently sold an item on eBay and despite being associated with a "gmail.com" paypal address the buyer managed to send the payment to "googlemail.com" (I'm not sure how this happened). This led to a very confusing exchange as I received the emails from paypal and ebay saying I had received the payment but it never showed up in my account. At first I thought I was dealing with a scammer until I realised the address change in the emails. I had to add my old "googlemail.com" address to my PP account as a secondary email which then made the payment show up instantly. 

My question is whether this is a known issue and if anything can be done to stop this happening again? I have sold other items on eBay recently and haven't had the same issue so I think the buyer must have typed the address in manually perhaps.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there AshleyN,

This is not a technical issue as such, this is where your eBay account needs to be updated.

When you list an item eBay will use information that is registered on your account, just make sure to check your listing before posting a new item on eBay as they will always ask you to confirm this information is correct!

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Dobson
New Community Member

Hi,

I am having the opposite problem here! My paypal account is with a googlemail.com email address and that is the one that ebay links to. I just sold an item on ebay and the email to say I'd received payment says that it has been paid to a gmail.com paypal account. The gmail.com paypal account doesn't exist and the payment isn't showing up in my googlemail.com address.

What do I need to do?!

Help!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Dobson,

This sounds like  you have used this old email address in your eBay listing, here's how to check:

1. Find the item you sold and click 'Sell a similar item' under 'More Actions'.
  2. Go to the section 'Decide how you'd like to be paid', which displays the email address where the payment was sent.

You can either confirm this email address on your PayPal account to allow the payment to come through or ask your buyer to cancel the payment and make it again to the correct address.

Hope this helps!

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Traceyl
Contributor
Contributor
Please can someone help me I have accidentally sold via eBay app on the old googlemail email address with paypal I have entered gmail . Paypal will not allow me to add the googlemail to profile saying it has been used! I have 14 items that need processing Can somebody please help me add the googlemail all the items have checkout so I cannot change or do not know how to hange via eBay Yours hopefully 🙂 tracey
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Traceyl, 

I understand you're aware that the buyer has paid for your eBay item but you haven't yet received the funds into your PayPal account.

Please don't send the item until the funds have arrived in your PayPal account balance. 

You can add and confirm this email address to your PayPal account to allow the payments come straight through, or you can contact the buyer to cancel the payment from within their PayPal account, and send a new payment to your correct address. Only the buyer can cancel the payment.

Here's how to find the email address that was used in your eBay listing:

1. Find the item you sold and click 'Sell a similar item' under 'More Actions'.
  2. Go to the section 'Decide how you'd like to be paid', which displays the email address where the payment was sent.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

LeeTaylor
New Community Member

This same situation has happend to me. Tried to change and add emails from googlemail to gmail and vice versa but it isnt working its saying already registered which it is not because im only registered under gmal.com (On pay pal). Ive now updated my ebay account to gmail.com from googlemail.com so do i now just tell the buyer to cancle payment and try again now that everything is this same on all accounts?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Traceyl
Contributor
Contributor
Hi guys thanks for your comments!! I have solved the problem, I had to add the incorrect spelling of googlemail and then get paypal to lift the verification and agree manually for the funds to hit my account!!! I will have to double double check in future such a silly little mistake and takes a wile to be rectified Many thanks
Login to Me Too

Traceyl
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Lee, Just to add you can have gmail and googlemail both set up in your profile options my mistake was I had written gogglemail into ebayl!!! I hate being dyslexic 🙂 I couldnt even see I had written it incorrect Thankfully I did not have to bother my buyers as I had inserted 20 items you will just need to manually update in eBay once the monies reach your paypal acc Hope you get it sorted
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.