PayPal holds funds completely arbitrarily

eilerc
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a PayPal member for well over 10 years. I have (and have always had) a 100% positive response rating. My items arrive within days of selling. I provide shipping info to all parties. The current buyer received my item 3 days ago and left positive feedback. PayPal is still holding my money, and, as always, just uses the boilerplate response when I make an inquiry.

The last item I sold, my funds were available immediately (which was a complete shock), but now we're back to the same old PayPal activities. 

I post this as a service only (since no one at PayPal is capable of reading multisyllable words). If someone tells you that you have to meet this or that criteria, it is false. PayPal holds your funds until they're good and ready to release them - and they don't read anything you send them. Common thieves.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eilerc

If you are talking about positive feedback then it sounds like Ebay sales?

If so then Ebay and Paypal are separate companies with 2 separate policies for when and how long they hold funds.

So if its Ebay then its Ebays hold and Ebay authorised when Paypal have to hold funds and when they can release them.

Also positive feedback is not the only criteria for going back on the hold, it also depends on star ratings etc etc.

If you want a list of other reasons i can post them or you can contact Ebay and ask them why they are telling paypal to hold your payments again?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

eilerc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - but that's far from tyhe only criteria - I've been going through this with PayPal for a decade now. Each time I finally write to complain, I get the same boilerplate response including criteria - all of which I have met. (Interestingly, a few months back I sold an item the same way I always do and my funds were available immediately - first time in 10 years. Now, it seems, they're back to their old habits.)

So, thank you - but this has been the norm with these folks for years. I try to do business outside EBay (where I can use something other than PayPal) - that's our only recourse.

Login to Me Too

Marenovic
Contributor
Contributor

Make new account

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eilerc

Sounds as if it 'may' be reason number 2. If you are only using Paypal 'occasionally' then it will see you as a 'new' seller again.

Reasons why you may have returned to the hold possibly are >>>

1. New seller.
2. Not sold for a while and returned to selling.
3. Dipped star ratings on ebay.
4. Recent buyer disputes.
5. Selling on a different email address or ebay i.d.
6. Suddenly selling a high cost item against normal selling history?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Doishka
Contributor
Contributor
They are definitely holding funds arbitrarily! I sell Louis Vuitton. I'll sell two without holds then the third gets hel for over two weeks! I ship within 24 hours insured and tracked priority. Never received negative fb. Been a customer for 12 years. Paypal was sued for this last year. They no longer allow you the customer to accumulate the interest in a money market account-paypal removes those from customers too. The pigs get fat off the interest you loose. Since when do we as business owners need mommy to watch over us?! Quit paypal and get a merchant account online that takes cc!
Login to Me Too

So how did you solve this issue. I am having the same problem
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.