Normal purchase showing as a Monthly Direct Debit in Bank Account.

venividivici
New Community Member

I purchased an item through paypal on ebay last month and it as normal the paypal purchase was debited from my Bank Account.

However checking my Bank Account today it shows that there is now a MONTHLY direct debit for the same amount as this purchase payable to paypal.

I've cancelled this monthly direct debit at my bank. Is there anything further i need to do?

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

cickle
New Community Member

I also have this problem. It happened once and I cancelled the direct debit myself. The second time happened just this week. The bank is disputing the Direct Debit and wouldn't release the funds. As a result my PayPal account went into negative credit and the bank account has been removed from my PayPal account. The e-mail from PayPal says I can't add the bank account back on and I have to take it up with the bank, but really, the bank was right not to release the money and PayPal was wrong for taking it as a Direct Debit. What do we do? 

Login to Me Too

Ali-G
New Community Member

I have just received an e-mail from Paypal to say that my account has also been removed due to my bank refusing a Direct Debit instruction from Funky Pigeon. My bank was quite right to refuse this request. This is the second time this month that one off purchases I have made have been put through as Direct Debit requests. The first one I noticed myself and cancelled it online.I have used paypal for a few years now and this has never happened before. Is this a new intrusion method by paypal and selected groups of companies. Paypal was supposed to be the safest way to pay for goods online.......not so sure now.

Login to Me Too

traceylouise
Contributor
Contributor

i have checked my bank account and i have found that £10 had gone out my account. A direct debit has been set up saying paypal £10 quarterly.Why has this happened when i didn't set it up? I paid £10 on something through paypal  it took that ok but then then the other amount went aswell. Rang paypal but no luck with any imformation to help me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Guys, 

When you confirm your bank account on your PayPal account it set it up as an open direct debit mandate. This means that if you initiate a payment to come from your bank account PayPal will request the funds from your bank account using the direct debit. 

Please be assured that it is not going to take a monthly payment, it will only take payments from your bank account that have been initiated by you. 

I hope this helps answer both your questions

Paula 

Login to Me Too

jwaghorn
New Community Member
I had this problem as well. Because it said "Monthly" I thought something suspicious was going on, and cancelled it. Now I've got to go through all the verification process again to return it to it's original full working condition. What a waste of time. Who was the bright spark who decided to label it "Monthly" ?
Login to Me Too

gibla53

Exactly the same sort of story . One off purchase appearing as a monthly DD. it was a fluke I discovered this on the following day .

Seemed to have happened at about 19/20 April.

Bank DD. cancelled on-line . PP informed ,investigated and refused to accept any responsibility for this error GRRRR.

Login to Me Too

DevonExpat
Contributor
Contributor

I see the PayPal transactions as a 'Monthly' direct debit, but that is merely the way the Bank labels them. I pay quarterly for water 'rates', but the Bank still labels these payments half-yearly!! Don't blame PP for the way your bank identifies a payment made under the Direct Debit agreement.

Login to Me Too

leonardo90

hello, 

wow have to say thank you for this information, im just curious whether this applies to my sudden discovery of a Direct Debit attached to my bank account with paypal. 

recently i verified my account as i made my first ever purchase of ebay and it was required, so your post does lend alot of indication that this is also the same situation for me. 

Does the amount of money listed in the direct debits "monthly" cost, simply based on the amount you first ever paid through paypal? also, is it true that it will not actually infact charge me a monthly fee?

Sorry i cannot phrase this any better, in a slight panic mode as i have used paypal many times and never had a direct debit attached to my bank account. 

Login to Me Too

DevonExpat
Contributor
Contributor

The amount of the payment made by the direct debit relates purely and simply to the last payment made, not to a standing amount paid according to the frequency indicated on your banl's online banking web site. The bank probably doesn't have any way of dealing with variable payments, especially those that are variable not just in terms of amount but terms of frequency. I have used PayPal to make payments on occasion as often as 6 times in one month, but my bank (Lloyds) still shows the direct debit as 'monthly' ... because it can't deal with it any other way. Different banks will deal with things differently, of course, but every user should read the Direct Debit guarantee before cancelling the process or blaming PayPal for what is an arrangement with your own bank!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.