Kathy Smith Scam

Jamesion
New Community Member

Hi folks,

I have very nearly been scammed by a user named *** ***. If you type into google search *** paypal' there are numerous scams that this person has been involved in.

Thats what I got. I was selling an item on ebay and they emailed me personally. Seemed fine but then after I'd sent an invoice it got confusing in terms of payment for the carrier to collect the item, requiring credit card and western union information.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93956

This link is from someone trying to sell their motorbike and gives the full converstaion details, the conversation is almost EXACTLY how my conversation with the user Kathy Smith went.

Her email and paypal email/username is *** @ google mail

I hope this helps anyone who come across this user, sorry scammer, in the future.

If anyone requires anymore information regarding this please get in touch.

Thanks

Jim

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

themelb4
SO DODGY!!! The New number "Kathy Smith" is using: 61409799367 Replied to my ad on Gumtree, just knew something was off when I got this email (that I can see so many other people got!) Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment? I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct. Await your reply.
Login to Me Too

JKadir
New Community Member
Thanks guys. This person tried it on with me too. Messages were identical. Disappointed in such behaviours. Hope authorities get them and Karma gets them back too. Thanks again for sharing.
Login to Me Too

ELA3

From experience, if you sell anything on gumtree or buy anything, make sure you get the person's mobile number and give them a call to make sure it is a real number that is connected. Most scammers are those who do not display their mobile numbers but use email addresses instead. 

Got a text from +61 409 793 748 today asking about the furniture i was selling on gumtree. The text said "Do you still have the Gumtree Furniture for sale? kindly reply to macsmith202 at Gmail dot com plz no text."

So I called the number straight away but it was not connected at all. I knew immediately something was up.

I sent an email to that address and asked which furniture they were enquiring about and got a longwinded response stating her work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and that she was offshore at sea in NZ Taranaki Basin on kapo project bla bla bla bla bla. That she would be sending a courier to pick up the furniture after paypal payment clears. I KNEW IMMEDIATELY THIS WAS A SCAM. WHO ON EARTH REVEALS EMPLOYER DETAILS AND LOCATION OF THEIR PROJECT ETC ETC  to a stranger for the purpose of buying a second hand furniture?!?? 

KATHY SMITH....OR PERHAPS KATHY COOPER? SCAMMER! 

Karma will get you.

Login to Me Too

alferg
New Community Member

Same scam, happening right now.

I smelt a rat right from the start, but kept them going because scammer-baiting is fun! (I've done it before)

At this stage they are saying they are going to transfer an additional $950 (as well as the $1000 to purchase my gumtree item) into my bank account to cover the cost of freight, & once I receive the money they want me to pay the frieght company via Moneygram.

So just waiting for the "can you pay the frieght in advance" bit now!

Hilarious - pass the popcorn 😄

Login to Me Too

LeeYoung
New Community Member

Ha ha ha

I love playing with spammers & I'm just going throuh the same right now.

Waiting for the money to be transferred than I'm all sweet lol. 

To funny, but it's amazing they do it. I expect they get a few people go through with it.

Login to Me Too

yinc88
New Community Member

Guys, this has just happened to me. I was suspicious from the get go. But engaged against my better judgment. When the paypal confirmation of her wire transfer actually came through and said the money was being held for me and couldn't be released until I made the $950 transfer, that raised alarm bells. Luckily, I googled and checked it was a scam!

Temporary Hold Has Been Placed On Your Payment.  

We hereby want to assure you once again that the total sum of $1,500.00 AUD will be credited into your St.George Bank Limited account as soon as you provide us with the complete details of the moneygram money transfer used to send the additional fund of $950.00 AUD meant for the pick up agent. We also want you to know the money has already been deducted from the buyer's account and it cannot be returned back to her which means that it is secure with us but has been put on hold and will not be credited into your St. George Bank Limited account until we receive the necessary details from you.

The moneygram money transfer information's needed are the Ref.# and the sender's name and address used to send the money. This information's will be given to you by moneygram after the money transfer has been done.

We are sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused and we want you to know that the total sum of $1,500.00 AUD is ready and available to be credited into your St. George Bank Limited account.

Seriously DODGY!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yinc88

All you have to remember is >>>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AGT-1
New Community Member

Just happened to me. Glad I found this conversation...was too good to be true, but $950 AUS to shop to bits of furnitre...crazy!! Beware!! 

Login to Me Too

Jtee1
New Community Member
Hi I have very nearly been scammed by a Beth Smith over a wedding dress debarcle. Arranged for a courier to pick it up with payment coming only after courier gets money. Beware- I have reported it on gumtree already.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.