Kathy Smith Scam

Jamesion
New Community Member

Hi folks,

I have very nearly been scammed by a user named *** ***. If you type into google search *** paypal' there are numerous scams that this person has been involved in.

Thats what I got. I was selling an item on ebay and they emailed me personally. Seemed fine but then after I'd sent an invoice it got confusing in terms of payment for the carrier to collect the item, requiring credit card and western union information.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93956

This link is from someone trying to sell their motorbike and gives the full converstaion details, the conversation is almost EXACTLY how my conversation with the user Kathy Smith went.

Her email and paypal email/username is *** @ google mail

I hope this helps anyone who come across this user, sorry scammer, in the future.

If anyone requires anymore information regarding this please get in touch.

Thanks

Jim

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

ilala11
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

So glad I looked into this. She is now claiming to be offshore and wanting to buy goods. Here was her email to me:

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.........................

Clearly not going to deal with her any further.  Hope this saves someone else. 

Login to Me Too

Mac28
New Community Member

This is a scam to get the seller to pay $950 Shipping fee because she doesn't have her credit card on her and needs the buyer to send a money gram to the shipping company whos HQ is in the US and she will then reimburse later.... the mobile number used by these people to make initial contact is ****. 

Login to Me Too

evanscanwait
New Community Member

Have just had this person trying to scam me with an item I had for sale on Gumtree.

Login to Me Too

Jenmcl
New Community Member

I also have just had "Kathy" try to scam me. Same thing, txt reply to gumtree add then email reply:

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.

AVOID

Login to Me Too

Blondie81

Hi All,

I got an SMS from this person earlier today and received the email below. It just sounded really suspicious, so I googled....thank goodness.

When I found out what others have said, I replied to her email, copying the url of this page in there, just for their information... 🙂

Thanks to everyone for posting this. x

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Await your reply.

Login to Me Too

Blondie81

Forgot to mention, in the SMS I received, I was asked to reply to an email address containing "macsmith" then the response above came from "katkat" so perhaps be on the lookout for both email addresses.

Login to Me Too

harrietayres
New Community Member

this person hasm scammed me wish i would have seen these posts earlier! :@

Login to Me Too

Samdeli
New Community Member
Hey Harrie I got the same email today about a bed set, what exactly does this scammer stand to gain by wiring me money? Is it possible for them to take the money back once they've deposited it? And what will they do with my crap bed set?
Login to Me Too

AbeFroman

My daughter had the same scam just this week, so Kathy Smith still on the prowl on Gumtree.  After a number of emails, she asked us to deposit $950 via Western Union to this name and address:

Name: William Kendell,

Address: 1118 Claiborne Rd,

City: Colorado Springs,

State: Colorado,

Zipcode: 80906,

It was only at this point, where my daughter asked me to do the transfer, that I got involved and became suspicious.  All SMS messages came from an Australian number.  When we requested a phone number to communicate with her, she said her company does not allow them to have phones!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why would paypal EVER tell you to use a rival money transfer service to send funds to a buyer???

Also paypal tells you to NEVER send anything until the funds show in your paypal account balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.