Kathy Smith Scam

Jamesion
New Community Member

Hi folks,

I have very nearly been scammed by a user named *** ***. If you type into google search *** paypal' there are numerous scams that this person has been involved in.

Thats what I got. I was selling an item on ebay and they emailed me personally. Seemed fine but then after I'd sent an invoice it got confusing in terms of payment for the carrier to collect the item, requiring credit card and western union information.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93956

This link is from someone trying to sell their motorbike and gives the full converstaion details, the conversation is almost EXACTLY how my conversation with the user Kathy Smith went.

Her email and paypal email/username is *** @ google mail

I hope this helps anyone who come across this user, sorry scammer, in the future.

If anyone requires anymore information regarding this please get in touch.

Thanks

Jim

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

countrygirl11
New Community Member

This same person just tried to scam me. They used the same exact person. Im glad I looked into this before I wired this **bleep** any money. 

Login to Me Too

growswild
New Community Member

My husband was contacted by the same person about a truck sale we had on CL. Her email sounded fishy to me so I asked her for her paypal email which I then googled (getting nothing on my search of her first email) and discovered she's a scammer. Sounded like one to me so I double checked.

Login to Me Too

BryanW
New Community Member

Still going strong by the look of it. Had a response to a prestige vehicle ad via Gumtree (Australia) which looked immediately suspicious so took to Google to confirm suspicions. Kathy is a  "marine engineer" now.....response is almost identical.

Login to Me Too

hkaabasl
Contributor
Contributor

This fake marine engineer tried to scam me as well.

He/she said that I am interested in your bike for my chid as a surprise gift 🙂

He said i am currently at sea and just have access to paypal.

The email address was suspicious so i didn't trust him/her.

I googled his/her  email address and i found this link, the communication and behaviour was exactly the same !

So becareful!

I do not know what they do!!!

Thanks

Hossein

Login to Me Too

Poults
New Community Member

Still going strong then. I have had the same if not identical reply to an ad on gumtree today. First of all I received a text from +61 428 465 117 which I googled and found it was a scam. Then I googled her email address and found this forum. 

So glad I didn't fall into that trap 

Login to Me Too

MCVitaminK
New Community Member

If it wasn't for the fact she /he texted me from an Australian mobile (0061) I may have proceeded to waste my time as well. Who would pay 500 dollars to ship a scooter from the UK across the World?

Beware of Kathy Smith and paypal - you're aware of it - can't you block her email address?

Login to Me Too

chindybing
New Community Member
I've just recieved a text message from Kathy asking about my car on Gumtree, I've already had a Richard posing as the marine earlier today.. What idiot people!
Login to Me Too

Diamonddiamond
New Community Member

I am selling expensive furniture on gumtree and lovely kathy smith who works at sea and needs a couch for her holiday on the boat tried to scam me too!! I knew it was too fishy because something sus like this has happened before when I was selling a car, it is always that they cannot inspect the item and will organise for their courier to pick it up!!!

Login to Me Too

kael617
New Community Member

Ive just had this person contact me today (21st March 2014). I have two listings on gumtree and i got a SMS from this number +16197980706 asking if i could email her back at kat.kat001 rhelps.net 

I did email her but then looked at the phone number more closely and thought something is not right.

I have recieved an email back in less than 10min saying she works away on an oil and gas project in new zealand but would very much like to purchase the items. I have googled her email address and it is a scam so im glad I found this out. Thought I would post me experience on here to help warn others.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.