Just what is going on?

Temp20220622A
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a PayPal account for many years and have operated with no trouble whatsoever.  Today I have received two emails saying that the bank has returned two of my payments (they haven't). The sellers have got their money and the money has gone from my bank account as per normal.  Despite this I get these two ridiculous emails (no negotiation) telling me my bank account has been closed because of the returned payments !  What returned payments?  I've double checked with my bank and they haven't  a clue what PayPal are talking about as all the payments were made as normal.  Paypal will not let me re-register my account but it's the only one I have.  Well if that's what they want then bye -bye, it's their loss.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Temp20220622A
Contributor
Contributor

Further to this issue, it seems all this has been caused by Paypal misunderstading a communication from my bank.  The bank was A&L but they informed them that all the DDI details remain the same and no action need be taken, the bank is now called Santander. They still closed my registed bank account and won't let me re-register it as they say the bank has closed the account.  No they haven't you silly people.  Despite numerous emails they still don't understand and I cannot register the only bank account I have as the details are the same and they keep telling me it's been withdrawn and I can't use it!!! .  I'm perfectly willing to do without paypal and the idiots they employ but I want my money.  Oh they can't because I don't have a bank account ??????  Just who employs these morons??  Any other A&L customers hit a brick wall, sorry closed Paypal mind?  They contacted my bank this morning to cancel the DDI and the bank refused stating that the account is still active and they are acting in error (so much for not having my bank account details).  What have they done - they emailed me to get me to cancel it.  Sh*t for brains or what?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Biffo1262,

I understand where you are coming from with this but unfortunately, there has been a lot of people affected by this and it is out of our control. Smiley Sad

Alliance and Leicster have merged with Santander in the last few months and as a result, you have recently experienced an issue with your bank account. What seems to be happening is we are receiving notification from the bank advising that the direct debit is being cancelled. That is what we are advising you of (that the direct debit has been cancelled). We can't control if or why a customers direct debit has been cancelled by your bank, all we can do is forward the information to you to let you know the reasons why.

You should check with your bank in order to see if you have been issued with new information. Have you been provided with a new sort code recently? Should the name still be registered on your PayPal account as Alliance and Leicster or Santander?

When you are trying to register your bank account again to your PayPal account, if you are being prevented from doing so or you receive an error message, you should try and contact PayPal directly in order for us to reset your bank account for you.

I hope this information helps Smiley Happy

David.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220622A
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but that doesn't hold water at all.   I re-registered with all the correct details (only the name of the bank has changed) as they removed the block, and was awaiting the two small deposits from Paypal.  They went in at the same time I was informed that yet again they have removed the NEW account from my paypal acount.  So now I cannot re-register AGAIN.  Paypal keep telling me it's the banks fault and the bank is saying it's total cobblers as the Paypal payments are going in and out of the account with no problem at all. I can perhaps understand it happening once but it keeps happening.  All it takes is a little commonsense on the part of whoever it is ay paypal to realise that all the DDI details are still the same and then there will be no problem.  Surely the recent history on the account  indicates it's the new account details so why do they keep deleting it?  Anyway I want the balance of my account and that's it, I've had enough I just cannot deal with idiots.  I bet they say they can't pay me the balance as I don't have a bank account registered - Catch22- it's them who keep deleting it!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there Biffo1262,

Please let us know I you have managed to add your bank account on again.

As David asked there, have you been provided with a new sort code? Most of the customers dealing with the change over from A&L to Santander have been issued a new sort code.

You do not have to wait for the bank account to be confirmed to withdraw.

Once you have your bank account re-added just click on withdraw and follow the online steps.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220622A
Contributor
Contributor

So it seems.  A couple of days ago I had some other stuff come in asking me to confirm the new bank details and it's only when I got back onto the bank that they apolgised and told me that a massive block of customer notifications had not been sen out.  However ALL the DDI originators were instructed to just substitute the new sort code for the old one.  In every other case this has happened and they have sent a letter of confirmation; quick and simple.  Why is it Paypal take the route of just cancelling the account and cause such mayhem?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

When we receive notification from a bank stating that an account is closed we have to react and remove the bank from the PayPal account.

We can’t leave the bank account there as it could cause problems with people going into a negative balance etc.

In this case I can understand because the bank accounts aren’t actually closed, but this isn’t something we see. Once your bank tell us the account is closed the bank is automatically removed.

Login to Me Too

keef
New Community Member
I'm having the same problem... First my A&L acct was 'refused', so I setup new acct with Santander with new sort code. Just rec'd email from Paypal reporting 'Bank Processing Error' and removal of Santander acct. What am I supposed to do now ?? I can't add it again, I don't have another bank acct, so I will have to continue with just my debit card. Am mostly a buyer, so could live with that. Or do I HAVE to register a bank acct to stay with Paypal - if so, I'm stuffed cos I'm not gonna open a new personal bank acct to fix Paypal/Santander incompetence !! (longstanding ebay user with 660 100% F/B)
Login to Me Too

Temp20220622A
Contributor
Contributor

Mine seems to be sorted (for now).  Have you used the correct postal address?  You can find it on you new type of statement.  As long as you use the new sort code, new bank name and the correct address (and account number of course) it should be OK.  If not then I suggest you send them a number of emails on the matter Smiley Wink Using a debit card can incur charges in some circumstances just like a credit card which I think is disgusting as there are no bank fees on debit cards. Also you can't withdraw cash to your bank account. I'd send them a strongly worded email and try again in 24 hours.   Why they just can't fllow the instructions from the bank is beyong me.  I pay everything by DD and not one of the others has caused any problem at all.  It's maddening isn't it.

Login to Me Too

Dee108
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have been driven to distraction too by the paypal system and phone helpline over the last week or two, as for some reason it keeps rejecting my A & L (now Santander) bank account that I've always had on paypal for years. Have gone through this process of entering account again and again and having to wait nearly 5 days for those two bloomin pence amounts to come through again but was getting nowhere! My A & L account was one that used to be 'Girobank' years ago and is still operated via my local Post office. Finally, in total frustration, today I phoned the bank and got them to take me through exactly what to put on the paypal web page when entering bank account yet again. They said to use the name Santander for the bank and the new sort code 09-01-36 and for 'branch location' to enter Bridle Road Bootle.That all went through OK and when I went to next page I put bank address in as Santander Bridle Road Bootle Merseyside GIR 0AA and that took OK. So now I wait 4-5 days for my new pence amounts and keep my fingers crossed. Smiley Sad This 'Bridle Road Bootle' address may only apply to those like me who were under Girobank originally but hope this may help somebody else!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.