I have been scamed!!! non-paying buyer phishing email fake paypal consultant

thuha764
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item for someone. not on Ebay but on gumtree ads, She told me to pay via Paypal as its secure and fast, I agree. After a while I got an notification email looking like from Paypal: Cristy Roben Has Sent You Via PayPal Order Confirmed From: "" View Contact To: You've got new funds!

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited into your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail onlineverifyfundconsultant dot com and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account. once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us,

You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team. But after a few hours there's another notification of that "My name is Richard Wilson. I'm a PayPal representative in charge of your transaction with Cristy Bassani" and Im pretty sure Ive been conned after I read this email Refunding Issue "We are sorry for the lately reply.We are here to inform you that an over payment was made to your account £250 was deducted from our client's account instead of $150.We need you to go to the Western Union store and have £100 transfer via western union and get back to us with the money transfer info.We will then send you an email to confirm your Bank or Credit Card info and the £100:00 shall be credited into it."

It looks like from official Paypal staff so I trust in that and today I ship her order via Roymail special delivery, I have the proof of postage here still.So BASICALLY I SENT THE ITEM FOR HER ALREADY BY Special delivery and now she and that fake consultant of Paypal tells me to go to Western Union to send CASH FOR HER to Another address because of Overpayment error? What the heck does that mean? How do I get my payment now? :((

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

LD3
New Community Member

I have received the same type of e-mail about a sale. This is the name of the "courrier" they asked me to pay:

Name : Shuyan   Cui  
Address: No.3033 Shennan East Road,  
City: Luohu district, 
State: Shenzhen  
Zip code:518001 

Login to Me Too

ija_d

Received this today and did not send anything because there is nothing on my paypal account so i believe that is attempt of fraud.

I have made the payment now as promised. You will be receiving the
payment confirmation message from  Paypal regarding the payment,
check your paypal inbox or spam or
JUNK folder if the message does not show in INbo...

The shipping company wants  £100 for pick up and deliverer. So I made
total payment of  £140 and £100 for the shipping
company, and £10  for whatever western union will be charging you to
send the money to my shipper and charges for this transaction. Please
let me know as soon as you send them the money and also get back to me
with your home address so that i can forward it to them and they will
arrange for pickup date.

Below is the shipping courier company agent information who will come for
the
Pick Up and where to send the £100. thank you. so here is the
agent western union address for the payment below....

Name:Kelechi Gabriel Nwakali
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo
Zip Code:23402

Regards

Login to Me Too

Dionnetoddx
I have just got the exact same email and almost robbed of a brand new iPhone 7. The buyer was Paul Lough and email I got the scamming confirmation from was an email that was not Paypal. please be careful and check with PayPal customer support first they are extremely helpful.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dionnetoddx

All you have to remember is  >>>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

I have just been scammed as well, selling a pair of shoes on eBay when the buyer said he would pay me x amount more if I did it through PayPal with overnight shipping. I received an email saying that he had paid but I did not realize that it was fake. No money showed up in my PayPal account but I thought that it would eventually show up since it was in my email. Watch out for emails with improper punctuation, the same message repeated twice, and different fonts. I ended up having to pay a large amount for shipping. 

If you sell via PayPal, watch out for: 
Daniel Garcia

Bronx, NY

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.