How to complain and recover stolen money?

ag19
New Community Member

Before Christmas I received an order worth over £95.00 paid by credit card through PayPal. PayPal accepted transaction I shipped the goods. Buyer accepted the parcel and signed it on delivery. Few days later I received an email from PayPal that the buyer filed a chargeback claiming that the purchase was made without his authorisation.

I provided PayPal with a signed proof of delivery. We delivered the goods, buyer accepted them, he didn’t cancel order, he never contacted us again. We have signed proof of delivery and what happened? PayPal send another email that unfortunately, the buyer's credit card company decided in favour of the buyer and they happily charged my account sending a refund to buyer. So PayPal is not taking any responsibility, credit card company happily agrees with it’s client and I was left without money and without goods. And what PayPal did for me? Partially block my account! I sent an email asking for explanation and received instead customer service survey! I really can’t believe that as a seller who got PayPal Pro account for last 3 year I receive no help. Apparently PayPal is safe option for thief’s not for sellers. So I understand that now anybody can buy from me then claim his money back, keep the goods and PayPal just agree with them. I’m disgusted by lack of help from PayPal and shocked how unsafe is to use PayPal as a gateway payment provider.  Is there any chance I can get my money back? Anyone had similar problem?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

This is a lot of money! From when you report the unauthorised transactions it can take anywhere between 3-14 days to have the cases resolved, depending on the amount of information requested and reviewed.

Make sure you do a full virus scan on your PC and change the password on PayPal and your email account. Also change any password that may have been the same as your PayPal one. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

With chargebacks it is true to say that the card company make the final decision on the outcome of the case.

If the payment is reversed due to this PayPal will look into the seller protection.

It sounds like the transaction wasn't eligible for seller protection. It will say in the transaction details on any payment received whether the payment is covered for seller protection.

If this says “ineligible” then even if you have a tracking number showing delivery you are still not covered for PayPal seller protection.

As a seller you need to make sure that the transaction itself is covered before posting the item.

Login to Me Too

kayd
New Community Member

Hi there,

I have just seen your message regarding stolen money. I have been a victim of the same. Sorry, I dont have any advice for you other than to keep appealing as I am doing. I thought i would reply so that other people are aware and be careful when selling in future.

I am not a professional seller but sell now and again via ebay. I sold a set of stage speakers for £500. They paid via paypal and called me to arrange collection. A courier collected them and since then the person put a chargeback on the funds. Like in your case the case was closed in favour of the buyer. I am not covered by seller protection as the items were collected and not posted.

However, I am obviously furious about this as I have lost £500 and have no speakers. During the time when the funds were in my account I did use some of it and so my paypal account is overdrawn. They have now had the audacity to send me a letter via a debt collection agency to recover the money. I am certainly not going to let this go. I will go to the police if necessary. I have today appealed against the decision. Im not sure if it will do any good but why are people allowed to get away with doing this. Paypal have their money so they are not interested are they!

In my case the person who bought the speakers never said they didnt receive them, they simply said that they did not recognise the transaction. I cannot find out if this person has the speakers and has been very unfair and still put the chargeback in place or has someones credit card details been used fraudulently?? and there are 2 victims of this crime.

Sorry ive not been of any help to you but thought i would post my reply to help others.

I hope you get somewhere. Do let me know if you have any joy.

Login to Me Too

Skittler
Contributor
Contributor

I have just had £970 stolen from my bank via PayPal, there were ten transactions of £97 in two different names, none of which had I verified and only knew about as I get email notifications about all transactions on my account! No products were mentioned, just a name and an amount. So how did they do it? It also happened to a friend of mine recently!

I have disputed the payments. I can't afford to lose that amount of money and I know that eventually I will getit back, but it leaves me worrying until I actually do!

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

This is a lot of money! From when you report the unauthorised transactions it can take anywhere between 3-14 days to have the cases resolved, depending on the amount of information requested and reviewed.

Make sure you do a full virus scan on your PC and change the password on PayPal and your email account. Also change any password that may have been the same as your PayPal one. 

Login to Me Too

Skittler
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that, I have had email confirmation that it has been resolved, plus I have changed my password and just in case I have had my card cancelled and replaced. My bank haven't paid the money out either, as, thanks to my confirmation emails, I was able to contact them in time and also log on to PayPal and react in the 'Resolution Center', to query the payments, so they got nothing for their efforts.

I use an Apple Mac, so no viruses to worry about and I also have a little programme that tells me of any unautorised activity on my machine. I think it was when I used my mobile to pay for an app, so have made that more secure now.

Why don't these people use their talents to get a job, rather than stealing?

Login to Me Too

connie2794
New Community Member

Paypal will always take buyers side, i really dont think we should use paypal! eBay need to create a new service instead of Paypal. 

Paypal just permently banned my account and they are not giving any reasons! i have only sold 2 items. they limited my 4 times and i provided everything they asked for. they lift limit after few days but as soon as i sell somthing they come running and put limitation on my account! today i recieved a email saying my account permently banned! 

PAYPAL IS MONEY GRABBING THEIFS! WE SHOULD NOT USE PAYPAL!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.