How does your seller claim an 'unclaimed' payment?

lynadal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I paid for an item on ebay and waited for it to be delivered. Then I got a message from the seller asking me to pay for the item. When I checked on Paypal, the payment was showing as unclaimed by her, but when she searched her paypal account for the details, she couldnt find it anywhere. So I  cancelled the payment and sent it through a 'send money' section. But again, it is showing as unclaimed. What does my seller have to do to clear the payment? She said she has looked all through but cant find any transaction details. What should I do? Or what should she do? Thanks. x

San xxx

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were able to cancel it ie there was the cancel option next to the transaction then it means that she has made a mistake with the email address she has put on her auction.

If it was an ebay transaction tell her to do this.

Go and find the transaction in her “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes?

If she says its incorrect tell her to come on the board for advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lynadal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I will pass the information on. x

Login to Me Too

Emm_conners
New Community Member
Hi there - I have just read your advice as I am a seller and jar just had people email me to say that there payment status is unclaimed. I haven't used eBay in a while so when listing the item for sell put in a different email address to that registered on PayPal as I wasn't sure. I have just logged into PayPal and now changed my email address to match that of what I entered but I am unsure of what I do now - re you able to help? Thanks emm
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

HAVE YOU DONE THIS.

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes?

IF SO AND THE EMAIL ADDY WAS WRONG THEN TRY THIS.

Firstly can you add that email addy to your paypal account, as you can have up to 8 on the one account.

If not then you need to contact your buyers and ask them to see what it says in there paypal accounts either:

1. Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
1. Then ask them to cancel the payment but tell them that it will take a few days to go back to their funding source if they funded their original payment with a debit or credit card. Then get them to use the "send money" > Goods option and pay to your email address. Tell them DO NOT use the ebay option or it will direct them to ebay checkout and the same thing will happen.
2. If there is no cancel option then the buyer will get their money back automatically 30 days after paying if it remains unclaimed. You will need to sort out between you if you want to still go ahead with the sale or cancel it.
3. If its completed then come back for more advice.

Then next time you list an item for sale change the email addy during the listing process and check everytime.

Also to help you sort things with your buyers you can pull their contact info if its an ebay transaction. Go to advanced search top of ebay pages > contact member left column > fill in the details and ebay will send you an email with their telephone number.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Emm_conners
New Community Member
Thanks so much I will try this!
Login to Me Too

lynadal
Contributor
Contributor

I gave the seller the information that you provided and she said that she had not put any wrong address in, and that she was a regular user of ebay and paypal. All other transactions had gone through, but not this one. I cancelled the payment, then sent it through again. But the same things is happening - it is still saying 'unclaimed' I even tried to put it through as goods, and that also came up as 'unclaimed. So I cancelled it. At this moment in time, the payment has not gone through. At my end, I can see the transaction and I even copied it and sent it to her, but she has no record of it on her account. She said she has looked through everywhere and cant find it. What should I do next please? xxx

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

She may be a regular seller but it is easy on ONE auction to mis-spell the email addy even a misplaced dot.

That is the only time you can cancel a payment cus the email addy you are trying to send it does not belong to a paypal account.

I doubt your seller actually did do what i said, i expect she just thought the email was correct because the others were on the other auctions.

It does not matter how many times you try and pay if that email addy is wrong it will always come up as unclaimed BUT be careful, cus everytime you do it the payment will be processed through to your paypal account then back again to your funding source but that can take a few days.

Personally i would just not bother to pay anymore it is the sellers problem and not yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.