How do you tell if payment was send as "Friends or family"?

Wheresmycar
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering? How do you tell the difference between a normal payment as a payment send as "Friends or family"

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From which perspective, the sender or the receiver.   As the sender, you choose the option.  As the receiver, they are only told that someone has sent them money.

Login to Me Too

Wheresmycar
Contributor
Contributor

If I was to get a payment from someone I mean, Would there be any way to point out how it was sent?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Wheresmycar, 

If you receive a payment from a friend or family member or even as a gift it will show as a personal payment. When you receive a payment for something you sold, it will show as a payment received. The payment does show slightly different to help you differentiate between them.

I hope this helps and thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

jaredping
New Community Member

Can you be more exact on how is it slightly different ? 

Login to Me Too

AndroidVageta
Contributor
Contributor

I think I can help!

The best way to tell how money was sent is to click on the transaction and check the fees.

If you were charged no fees ($0.00) then it was sent via Gift/Family and Friends.

If the money you were sent does have fees taken out then it was NOT sent as a Gift/Family and Friends but rather as Goods and Services.

That's the best way to check.

So, to recap:

No fee's taken out = Gift

Fee's taken out = Not Gift

Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

Anssi
New Community Member

AndroidVageta: That's wrong. There are fees even for gifts if the payment is from another country.

Login to Me Too

Christine37
New Community Member

Actually if you have your bank account linked and send friends and family you are not charged a fee.  You are only charged a fee if using a linked card. 

Login to Me Too

Keneuren
That's not true. I only have my account linked and every transaction has had a fee. Even though not one thing has been bought or sold. I am sick of PP stealing from me.
Login to Me Too

440ydsHurdles
New Community Member

How can I tell if a paypal payment was "as a gift"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.