How do I remove (very) old postal addresses?

RichKS
New Community Member

Hi there,

I've had this problem for ages and cannot find a solution anywhere online.  It seems a lot of other people are having the same problem, but with no response or solution presented.

In my paypal account, under "profile" and "add or edit address" I have listed exactly two addresses: My home address where my bank account and credit cards are registered and my work address where I have everything I order online shipped.

However, when I check out using Paypal, I am offered a list of over a dozen addresses dating back several years.  Some of these addresses are duplicates of current my home and work addresses and some are historical, places I haven't lived or worked for 10 years in some cases.

I REALLY need those historical addresses to go away, I cannot afford to have goods shipped to the wrong address.  I have already contacted Paypal support via email on a number of occasions and each time the just link me to a FAQ pagwe whcih says I should go to "profile" and "add or edit address" and remove the addresses... whcih aren't there!

Please help, this has been driving me crazy for years!!!

Rich

Login to Me Too
102 REPLIES 102

bito2000
New Community Member

4 years on and this still isn't fixed.

How can something be so easily done over the phone but impossible to do online?????

Login to Me Too

RupeWard
New Community Member

It is possible to do it without making a phone call, I just did it using email.

After logging in, I went to "My Paypal", then the "Help" tab, and clicked on "Email Us". I selected "Managing my Account" and "Updating or Confirming my Profile Details" and asked them to remove my hidden delivery addresses.

The initial email response was a completely irrelevant automated one about forgotten passwords (!) but asked me to reply to it if it didn't help. So I did, asking them again to remove all the hidden delivery addresses (the ones which weren't my billing address).

A bit less than 4 hours later I got an email reply saying that they had manually removed the addresses as requested, and they have.

I've been using the "Send money" trick described on p5 above to check the list of delivery addresses they have for me. Earlier today it contained about 20 of them including my last 4 work addresses and some from over a decade ago. Now it only has the one.

Login to Me Too

taxonomy
Contributor
Contributor

This is pathetic. "Our team is working on it." four years ago!

Login to Me Too

vyolla
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I just went to make a PayPal payment (not via ebay) and got a list of delivery addresses to choose from - 19 of them. Most of them were variations on a theme of my address, but two of them were names and addresses of complete strangers who I've never met or had dealings with.

I just Googled them, and one of them is an exhibition manager in a London gallery, her address is the gallery address, and the other is the name of a stranger with an address that is a Costa cafe.

I've been on the phone to PayPal CS to ask where these might have appeared from. I've been told they're 'defaults' - defaults of what, I've asked, but have not been given an answer I can comprehend.

Any ideas? I seriously have had no dealings with these named people, and have never sent an item to a Costa cafe or an art gallery.

I know that it's not a security issue, but if I didnt always glance at a delivery address, I could come unstuck here. If I buy an iPhone and it gets delivered and signed for at that Costa branch I will lose out.

Login to Me Too

Lewisokelly
Contributor
Contributor

As above.

I had a similar issue today.  I had someone send me an invoice to pay, and when I went to select the delivery address (I too have loads, variations of my actual address and old address from years ago) but there is a strange address appearing that I have never used as I have never lived there and would have no need to have an item sent there.  I am concerned that someone else has fraudulently used my account and paid for something and had it posted elsewhere - is this a possibilty, and how can I check if this is/isn't the case?

Finally, surely paypal have come up with a solution to remove the historically used address from the delivery details by now??

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

vyolla
Contributor
Contributor

You can trawl through your PayPal payment history if you're worried about an unauthorised payment going out from your account. It's unlikely this has happened though. If your account was compromised more than one payment would be taken from it.

I believe that the strange addresses appearing are some kind of glitch, and only dangerous if they default as a delivery address and nobody notices during checkout.

You cannot remove them, even though this thread is years old and PayPal were looking into it then. Smiley Frustrated

To get them removed you can either make a list of the addresses you want removed and email them to PayPal CS, or telephone them (I phoned and they deleted them as we talked).

Login to Me Too

Lewisokelly
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks.

I didn't really wish to trawl through all the old transactions as i have SOOOO many.  I don't think i've been 'violated' as normally I get notifications when a transaction is made.  However, seeing the odd address did make me wonder/worry about it.

I've emailed paypal about it anyway, and also re; removing the old addresses from the delivery address list, only to get some stupid automated one back.  It contained a list of irrelevant topics, and then at the end it states 'if this does not answer your query please send a reply to this email inlcuding as much info as possible'.  Well I have already done that through the **bleep** website, I don't want to regurgitate it and type it all out again!!  Really, I don't know why they make everythng so difficult.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Lewisokelly, 

I am sorry to hear that you did not receive the response you required. It sounds like it may be an old address on the account. I am sure you will get a response to your email very soon. 

We do offer other options for you to contact us. You can contact us by phone or through Twitter @AskPayPal or via Private Message on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/PayPal.  We would be happy to help. 

Please let us know how you get on as it may help other members

Paula 

Login to Me Too

XbalthamosX
Contributor
Contributor

I hate to bring an old thread up but I've just sent a payment to someone and checked delivery addresses and about 4 where from Indonesia and people I've never heard of, so someones tried to gain access to my account from the sounds of it ( My account this morning was needing verification too, which got me worried ) I'd love to know how/where/what this person has done etc. I've secured my account moreso and don't know what to do as I want all those old addresses wiped so I can keep an eye on my account 

Login to Me Too

Crashtestdummy
New Community Member

I just called and asked them to remove them and they did it no problem.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/remove-shipping-addresses-paypal-41654.html

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.