How do I remove (very) old postal addresses?

RichKS
New Community Member

Hi there,

I've had this problem for ages and cannot find a solution anywhere online.  It seems a lot of other people are having the same problem, but with no response or solution presented.

In my paypal account, under "profile" and "add or edit address" I have listed exactly two addresses: My home address where my bank account and credit cards are registered and my work address where I have everything I order online shipped.

However, when I check out using Paypal, I am offered a list of over a dozen addresses dating back several years.  Some of these addresses are duplicates of current my home and work addresses and some are historical, places I haven't lived or worked for 10 years in some cases.

I REALLY need those historical addresses to go away, I cannot afford to have goods shipped to the wrong address.  I have already contacted Paypal support via email on a number of occasions and each time the just link me to a FAQ pagwe whcih says I should go to "profile" and "add or edit address" and remove the addresses... whcih aren't there!

Please help, this has been driving me crazy for years!!!

Rich

Login to Me Too
102 REPLIES 102

PayPal_barry

Hello, that issue sounds like it is pretty frustrating for you. I believe that the addresses you refer to are what are known on PayPal/eBay as 3rd party addresses. Only agents here in PayPal can remove them. That’s why the “add/remove address” option does not work for you. I suggest you contact PayPal again by e-mail, this time giving the addresses you no longer need, and requesting that those 3rd party addresses be removed from your account. Hope this works for you.

Login to Me Too

Vader
Contributor
Contributor

Why would they have control of something so trivial in your  own personal account even Amazon lets remove and change address as neede.

What gives them the right to hold your superflouse infromation in your account and how do i know they won't go and remove the wrong address?  They are only human yes.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Yeah, as these aren't full addresses they aren't on your profile. They are just addresses that you used for once off transactions where you manually typed in the address when going through a checkout, they get retained for other checkout payments.

I can't say it's my favourite feature. Actually, I do wonder if it's correct functionality, it doesn't ring true to me. I'll have to contact our tech department to see if this is supposed to happen.... i'll let you know

Login to Me Too

robmalpas
New Community Member

Has anyone manage to solve this issue?  It's irritating me as well!

Login to Me Too

Scordicus
Contributor
Contributor

I have the self same problem & this has resulted in someone sending ebay goods to a very old address because (I presume) they looked up my postal address & one of my old addresses was the first that came up, or it was sent by Paypal upon payment despite me always manually selecting the correct address..

This is rediculas and needs sorting URGENTLY otherwise Paypal are going to be liable for goods shipped to the wrong addresses..

Luckily on that occassion I managed to get another family member to retrieve the goods from the old address, but it is nearly 75 miles away from where I live now..

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

I fully understand that this issue must be frustrating for each of you. I will advise that this may still be being looked in to by our technical team.

If you can see old or inactive postal addresses on your account when purchasing items, you should try contacting customer services directly and we can have these addresses removed from your account for you.

Even if the incorrect address is appearing on the Review your Payment page, you can click the Edit option in order to change the address so that the item is posted to the correct address.

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

matthewn5
Contributor
Contributor

It's worse than just old addresses where you might have lived in the past.

Today I found a completely spurious address in the USA where I have never lived. I've only ever lived in the UK or Australia. Never the US! So what is that address doing there?

This list needs to be available to users via Edit Profile, conspicuously, as people on here report goods being shipped to old addresses on a regular basis.

Login to Me Too

rolleycakes
New Community Member

is anyone from Paypal sorting this out?   This is a feature problem that should really be sorted out.   I've lost an item as a result, it being sent to my previous work's old office.  THey moved since and so I lost the item.  

Login to Me Too

donnad333
Contributor
Contributor

I am still another customer who is extremely frustrated by this problem. With PayPal's technical sophistication, I cannot understand why this cannot be fixed. An old address that "lives" only in the bowels of PayPal has:

1. Caused three purchases from Bonanza.com (including a $1,200 purchase) to be shipped to a VERY old address--without EVER giving me an option to change; and

2. Caused ebay shipments from me as a seller to be bar-cided as having originated in another state, which subsequently caused them to be returned to me, rather than shipped to my buyers.

After having spent hours and even DAYS resolving these issues and attempting to fix this problem in ebay, Bonanza.com, and PayPal, I am astonished to learn that PayPal has known about this for an unacceptable amount of time and is "turfing" its resolution to customers by advising us to do "workarounds."

WHAT GIVES???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.