How do I remove (very) old postal addresses?

RichKS
New Community Member

Hi there,

I've had this problem for ages and cannot find a solution anywhere online.  It seems a lot of other people are having the same problem, but with no response or solution presented.

In my paypal account, under "profile" and "add or edit address" I have listed exactly two addresses: My home address where my bank account and credit cards are registered and my work address where I have everything I order online shipped.

However, when I check out using Paypal, I am offered a list of over a dozen addresses dating back several years.  Some of these addresses are duplicates of current my home and work addresses and some are historical, places I haven't lived or worked for 10 years in some cases.

I REALLY need those historical addresses to go away, I cannot afford to have goods shipped to the wrong address.  I have already contacted Paypal support via email on a number of occasions and each time the just link me to a FAQ pagwe whcih says I should go to "profile" and "add or edit address" and remove the addresses... whcih aren't there!

Please help, this has been driving me crazy for years!!!

Rich

Login to Me Too
102 REPLIES 102

turchinc
New Community Member

the fact that this is still an issue after all these years is truly appalling. automagically "add" addresses and not even allow users to manually remove erroneous (or otherwise undesirable!) entries  from their profile is just an accident waiting to happen.

this might be a okay for a "website", but i would expect a bit more from a bank, which - at least in Europe paypal is - btw!

Login to Me Too

pdrake007
New Community Member

Just found out I paid for some goods and accidently clicked on the wrong address, luckily it was my old work so I am able to retrieve the items, but what if I had clicked on one of my addresses from 7 years ago!

Why the hell is this still not easily editable!? I now have 27 addresses to choose from and only want 2, not happy!

Login to Me Too

stoli40
New Community Member

This thread has been going a while and people still seem to be struggling with it. It's also one of the first hits when searching for solutions to the problem which is why I'm posting here.

Firstly, if you want to see what addresses are on file, do this:

You can check to see what old shipping addresses are stored on your account without having to buy anything

Click on "Send Money" tab

Enter an email address (any one, doesn't matter as you won't actually send anything, but it has to be real)

Enter an amount (again doesn't matter, but just enter $1 to be sure)

Select "Pay for Goods or Services"

Click "Continue"

On the next page:

Scroll Down to "Shipping Address" and Click "Choose Shipping Address"

This should now bring up a the list of all addresses stored. I had over 20.

To fix it, I simply called PayPal through their 'contact us' page, waded through the menu options for 'other problems', then told the operator I wanted to "delete all the old shipping addresses on my account". She confirmed my Primary Address, put me on hold for 3-4 mins then said it was all done.

Doing the above again, my list was clear with only my Primary Address showing. Don't worry if they delete other addresses that you might like to keep because you can always add them again later. Better to have a clean slate start than wasting time telling the operator what you want and what you don't.

Now I'm in Australia and it was through the Australian PayPal page, so I don't know if this will work for everyone.

Please post your experience with other countries to this list so others know if it works.

Login to Me Too

rowane
New Community Member

Yay - maybe is all x million customers ring up and get them to change this they might finally add the facility to their web site. Mind you, we'd end up on hold for ages.

Login to Me Too

dutch602
Contributor
Contributor
It worked! Thank you! You just call Paypal, connect to an operator and ask them to remove "hidden addresses".
Login to Me Too

Lacidious
Contributor
Contributor

In-Freaking-Deed. STILL AN ISSUE. Wow. You **bleep** Paypal. You **bleep**.

*Dials Paypal...........................

Login to Me Too

vdiary
New Community Member

Pathetic! So many people complain about this and nothing is being done for YEARS!

Please allow people to clear out old addresses that were once used.

Why do you need to store them to begin with? If I, as a buyer, would want to add an address I would do so.

I have a ton of addresses stored under my profile as I often buy for other people and I'm always afraid to make a mistake when making a payment. So much room for error here as you're forcing me to risk having a package delivered to an unretrievable address!

Please respond.

Login to Me Too

Eternalskyy
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with this, I want to erase my old addresses via my computer so organize them well.

I have multiples of the same exact address and multiples of that address with different names.

Even other people's addresses for sending out gifts from ebay.

It's just bothersome.

Login to Me Too

sparxxx007
Contributor
Contributor

just sent an email from my account requesting any addresses not linked directly to a credit/bank/debit card be deleted, will keep you posted on if/when it gets resolved

Login to Me Too

AndyUK

I checked mine today, and have addresses which I haven't used for 6 years!
I couldn't delete them online, but phoned Paypal and asked the operator to delete everything except the one I had to keep and he did it in around a minute.

It's a pain it can't be done online, but it can be done on the phone dead fast Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.