Help! Someone has hacked into my PayPal.......

sj1

Yesterday I had an email from Paypal  about how to reset my password. I thought this was odd as I had not logged in. When I got home from work, I checked my account and have found that someone called James Carroll has deposited £800 and then made 14 wire transfers from the account. I also found 'he' had attempted to link in an HSBC bank account. I have reset my security settings and reported all the transactions with their ID numbers except the deposit which PayPal does not appear to recognise. I have also emailed PayPal but not heard anything and made three phone calls today within 'opening hours'  but am continually getting a message saying the office is closed. I realise it is the weekend but when I have had problems before, have had a quick response.

Can someone from PayPal PLEASE respond? I am very ill at the moment and the stress of all this is making me so much worse. I don't know how this has happened as I am always very security conscious. Could someone have hacked into my eBay account? HELP PLEASE..........

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

liz369
New Community Member

the same has happened to me at 2 oclock this morning it looks like i have transferred £500 and then 5 minutes later £250 i have tried to contact paypal but no joy 😞

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey guys,

Firstly, you should run a virus scan on your computer and then change your passwords and security questions. After this mark any transactions you didn’t make as ‘unauthorised, which you can do through the Resolution Centre.

I apologise that you couldn’t reach us, but our Limitations Department is open 8:00 am to 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 9:30 am to 6:30 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. You can find the number through the ‘Contact Us’ link on your account.

Login to Me Too

steph29
New Community Member

welll why is there a 24 hours telephone service like a normal bank account... i unfortunately replied to a phishing scam email and provided them with my bank account number and sort code im very worried they could use this to set up a direct debit in another accounti cancelled my card but worry this might not be enough

i  have read that account details cannot be added to two account but do not want to add my account detail on this one either

can they use my account number and sort code to set up a direct debit on another payment system?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

When you log into your PayPal account you can see that you are only provided with the last 4 digits of your bank account or card.

As you can only see the last 4 digits, this is not information that can be used outside of your own PayPal account at all.

Once you change the password and security questions on your PayPal account and do your virus scans on your PC your account will be fine.

There wouldn't be any need to cancel the card or anything like that as they would not have the full card details.

Login to Me Too

FraudVictim
Contributor
Contributor

I have found out about an hour ago that I have had my Paypal account hacked.. they took £545 yesterday (Saturday the 4th December). I noticed it on my bank account as it said I only had a little funds available. As I was suspicious I rang the bank and they said that it would not show up on my account until Monday.. a lot of good that is when its the weekend!

Then I logged onto my Paypal account and sure enough I had a transaction for £545. What I cannot understand is: no sales are registered in my ebay account, no emails were received from Paypal - I ALWAYS get notification of a transaction - but this time there is nothing there, and I have checked my spam folder too. Even more strange, I removed all my card details, changed my password, and deleted my bank accoount details, and there in my inbox is four emails confirming those actions.

I'm going to involve the Police tomorrow as I cannot undertand how this could happen without my knowledge. The main reason I used Paypal is because it is secure, so how this can happen I do not know. Regarding my desktop security, I run Kasperky, I have two hardware firewalls, I run Antimalware bytes and Adaware, so I'm convinced it's not a privacy problem at my end.

If anyone from Paypal could comment on this, I would appreciate it. I will not have a chance to read comments here until I return home from work and I do not have web access during the day. If someone could call me on my regsitered numbers, I would truly appreciate it. I feel personaly violated and very vulnerable at the moment!

Login to Me Too

Pierstheboarder
New Community Member

Me too. Woke up this morning to find $400 had been taken out of my account for a transaction I never authorised. Passwords are super strong and highly unlikely to be caused by anything on my PC. Suspect the issue lies within Paypal....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there guys,

I can understand the frustration in relation to these funds being requested from your bank account.

The exact way these people gain access to your password is not something we can see. We want to be as safe as possible and for this reason no one here at PayPal can view your password details.  

In regard to the notifications that are being sent, these can be altered in your profile tab and My account settings. It is possible that these where changed while someone else was in control of your account.

Login to Me Too

mryjnjohnson
New Community Member

logged in yesterday after being sent an email about password and bank details and someone had used my paypal to pay for £6.50 farmville credits on facebook!!! wht shall i do... is changing security settings enough??? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

You would need to change the password and security questions. I would also recommend that you do a full virus scan on your PC and also change the password to your email account as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.