Gumtree Scammers

Alby1972
New Community Member

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to warn the community about two scam emails I recieved thismorning for a $1200 item I'm selling on Gumtree.

The first from Sharon Hair (sharonhair001atoutlook.com) and goes as follows.

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to know the lowest price of 
it.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come 
for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours
everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with 
it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure
way to pay online(PayPal).I have a private courier agent that will come for 
the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also 
include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal
account,you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au and sign 
up. its very easy.I await your reply asap

I had the good sence to google Sharon Hair and scam alerts came up all over the place, such as whirlpool etc.

The second was a text I recieved from an overseas number saying as follows:

Good Morning Is your sport item still available,whats the present condition and your firm price? reply me direct to my 
veblake55atgmail.com

I googled that email address and what do you know? Scammer! It actually led me hear so thought I'd warn everyone else.

An important reminder to anyone selling an item on Gumtree. ALWAYS go with cash upon pickup. 

Be safe all.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

headshot
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya,it seems there all over the place The SCAMMERS,one of the favourite ones is,they will enclose phone number,either its wrong,not enough numbers,or they never answer,so you leave them message,they reply carnt get to phone,Email Me,Never Click On Links Someone Sends You !! Forword the suspicious email to  spoof@paypal.co.uk seen lots of motorhome sales,and nice cars like Bmw, that are that cheap there Unreal,All saying they will sell through ebay,or gumtree sellers programe,Take no notice,stay Well Clear Of Them All Man Mad

Login to Me Too

Nat_Ric
New Community Member

Email from a scammer named Jessica, wanting to purchase my item on Gumtree...............iambuschgirl @ gmail.com

Hello,
Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work
with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in
New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to
phone at the moment 15days off and 15days on and that's why I
contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i
will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your
paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send
your bank acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted
my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in
Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply
Jessica

Login to Me Too

Marg44
New Community Member

Scammer named Jessy. I have just had her trying to buy my Gumtree item, but told her no sale after reading your post first.

M.

Login to Me Too

bernieA
New Community Member

Glad I found this post as I have had an identical post from brunoalvarop@outlookdotcom for a bike I am selling for £325. I nearly fell for it:

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to know the lowest price of 
it.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come 
for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours
everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with 
it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure
way to pay online(PayPal).I have a private courier agent that will come for 
the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also 
include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal
account,you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.co.uk and sign 
up. its very easy.I await your reply asap

Login to Me Too

BishoyHanna
New Community Member
Just received this message....

Thanks for the swift response... i would have love to come down for the inspection but due to the nature of my job and location, i will not be able to come down any longer. i will be more than happy if you can give me the first buying priority and i will add $300 if you can give me the first buying option. please tell other buyers that it has being sold out

I'm a very busy type as i work long hours everyday, i have gone through your advertisement and i am really satisfied with the conditions as seen therein. As for the payment, i will be paying you via the fastest and secure means of online payment (PayPal). If you don't have an active paypal account, you can easily set up one by logging on to www.paypal.com.au to get started. you can alternatively send your bank details I.E BSB, ACCOUNT NUMBER AND ACCOUNT NAME as i can make a direct deposit into your bank account from my paypal account as i have it attached to my Bank account. 
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the fund appears or clears into your account.so, no shipping included. You can now send me either your Paypal email address or Bank details so i can pay in right away and also include your address and Phone number in your next reply. Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you. item will not be picked up until you have the full fund credited into your either Paypal or Bank account, kindly help me look into this and get back to me asap.
Login to Me Too

izzyasplin
New Community Member

I got the exact same email 

email2.jpg

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.