Fishing Email requesting update of profile or suspension of account.

sal11
New Community Member

Today I received an email from "Paypal" saying that my account has been suspended and that I needed to update my account profile before the 21 st April 2010. It also gave me a paypal case number, but did not address me by my name, that is what made me suspicious. I did not click onto the link provided ! Instead I logged onto Paypal through their main page and found no outstanding case in my account. So I've forwarded the fishing email to spoof@paypal.com. Be aware of this kind of scam !!!!!

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

gentleladysss
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i had same email this morning. surely someone needs to look into this and stop it as not everyone will notice its a con Smiley Mad

To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.
We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account.we want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible. 
What's the problem ?
It's been a little while since you used your account.For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some more information about your account. 
Case number: PP-001-107-777-703
It's usually quite straight forward to take care of these things.Most of the time, we just need some more information about your account! or latest transactions.
1. Download the attached document and open it in a browser window secure. 2. Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions
Thank you for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely, 
Protection Services Department.

Login to Me Too

Scott61
New Community Member
I received a similar email this morning to an email account not linked to my Paypal so I logged into my acct and didn't see anything suspicious. I also noticed the URL which redirected the link which was not a a valid PayPal URL. Be careful before entering any bank acct or credit card information to anything without checking it out first. Anytime I feel my accounts have been compromised, I cancel the account and re open it. Don't always believe what you read in emails.
Login to Me Too

Mollymoo1
New Community Member

I also received one of these fishing emails saying my account was suspended, needless to say when it started to ask for personal information, I logged out as it wouldn't let me go to any other part of the account, ie resolution centre to review.  I started to smell a rat. It looks as if other people have also received these, can't they be stopped. 

"

We need your help resolving an issue with your account :

Dear ,
To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.
We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account.we want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible.
What's the problem ?
It's been a little while since you used your account.For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some more information about your account.
Case number: PP-001-107-777-703
It's usually quite straight forward to take care of these things.Most of the time, we just need some more information about your account! or latest transactions.

Download the attached document and open it in a browser window secure.

Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions

Thank you for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely,
Protection Services Department."

Login to Me Too

johnnybtaylor2
New Community Member

I received this one today. What caught my attention was the "from" address, service @ paypall.com (Two l's in "PayPal")

Hello XXX XXXX,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal
system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-329-916-548

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log
in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Be sure to log in securely by using the following link:
Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your
account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account
safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID 329-916-548

Login to Me Too

Dawn69
New Community Member

Hi

I had this email twice and I followed the link and twice I had my debit card cloned and people started to spend on it.  Luckly my bank were very very good and got all the money back for me.

I have had two emails since and only noticed it was a scam when I looked at the address at the bottom that said Luxembourg !!

Be careful

Dawn

Login to Me Too

pageii
New Community Member

I got this Phishing email.  I'm not listing the full domain but it goes like:

paypal-updater

I've been recieving too many of those email from various sources.  Had tried notifying Paypal on 2 separate occasion but they simply did not bother to reply.

Careful about such emails and always examine the email address.  It usually does not feature the word "paypal" or do so in convoluted ways.

Login to Me Too

Tc11
New Community Member
I also received an email supposedly from PayPal to inform me my account is suspended due to security reasons and I need to confirm all my details, glad I looked on here before I done anything stupid! The email isn't addressed to me but to "dear user" however it looked genuine! I've forwarded it to spoof and urge others to think twice. Lately my email has been inundated with attempts to get financial details, I think I need security software! Thanks for all info from other PayPal members
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.