EBAY ...COLLECTION AGENCY....5 YEARS

njb73
New Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Just got a letter from a collection agency chasing Ebay fees of some sort from 5 years ago...

Heres The saga so far...

5 years ago i had an Ebay account with over 270 positive feed back and no negative....

I sold an item...It was paid for..... Paypal was used....No problems so far....

2 weeks later, the money was removed from my Paypal account which put it into negative...and my ebay account was locked pending a resolution ...

I went to the resolution centre to find that the buyer had said the item i sold was a fake and wanted to return it...

It was a Titleist golf club....

I replied by saying that i still had the receipt from the golf shop where i bought it , with the serial number on it which matches the serial number on the hosel of the golf club..( all titleist vokey wedges at that time had the serial number on them).. and that i would send it to them, where they could check it all out..... But if the seller wanted to return the club, not a problem.

A few days went by and i received a message to say that ebay had made a decision in favour of the buyer...and i had to pay the money into paypal to take me out of the negative....and the seller fees

I refused until i received the golf club back.... and since it was not sold but being returned...should be no fees since it was their decision to do it even though i could prove it was genuine.....

Ebay then said that their policy was to have all fake equipment destroyed.......

I replied to ask who it was verified by, and since i had the original receipt, that the buyer may be pulling a fast one... Ebay did not get it verified but took the buyer at his word and so i ended up with no item and £60 in negative at Paypal...

I refused to pay until i received the item back.... 

All my correspondance was through the resolution centre and messaging via ebay so it would be easily traced and proved that i was corresponding....

So...Present day...

I have just had a letter ( 5 years after i sold the item ) for ebay fees of £38 from a collection agency

The email address / username and account is no longer registered on ebay so i cant check what the fees are for...

The collection company offer no information about it other than they want me to pay it....

Told them that they need to go for court judgement where i get to address the situation and go from there, but they keep threatening bailiffs.... but i am sure bailiffs can only come after a court judgement.....

Any advice or info out there......

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you have not been to court and been issued with a CCJ then the debt collection company can hassle you but they have little power.

To take you to court for that amount of money would be pointless really as if you still refused to pay they would have a fee to escalate it to the baliffs that would not be worth their while to pursue.

Personally I would leave the ball in their court and see if they want to proceed to take you to court but i doubt they will.

However if it had been me and i could have proved the item was not fake i would have pursued a CCJ myself against the buyer and if you had told them that that was what you were going to do you may have found that they would cancel their claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PinkDiamond169
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there, 

Ingore it, They're trying to scare you 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.