EBAY BUYER OPENED DISPUTE ON PAYPAL AFTER 45 DAYS! PLEASE HELP?

hassy786
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I sold an item for £110 on eBay on the 4th of August 2014. A few days after I dispatched the item, eBay contacted me to say "Issue a refund to the buyer as someone has been purchasing items of their account with their permission". I then replied to eBay and said "I have already received payment and dispatched item" and eBay told me not to worry. Today 49 days later (maybe 48, excuse my calculations) on the 21st of September, I see my account on PayPal is -£106!!! I then see that this buyer has opened a "Item not as described" dispute on PayPal but left me no details whatsoever. Before we get further in to this, I can 10000% assure that the item was as described and there was nothing at all wrong with it. There is no case whatsoever open on eBay and when I try to click on the item on "Sold items" on eBay, it says "the item is either not available anymore, or has been removed". So basically it is just a case on PayPal. I am left confused as I do not know what to do now? I have read that eBay has a 45 day buyer protection policy and a buyer cannot get a refund after 45 days of purchase. The item was as described and I would not lie on eBay as I know what it feels like to not receive what you ordered. What has made me even more angry is that it has taken this person 49 days to file a item not as described case? I really do not know what to do now, should I reply to the buyer? I have tried contacting PayPal but their claims department is closed right now and I just want some peace of mind right now to be honest. I appreciate all the help you guys can offer me.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

A buyer since June 17th can open a dispute up to 180 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hassy786
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I have read on eBay that paypals buyer protection is only 45 days? Am I wrong? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

this is the paypal board and i am talking about paypal.

did your buyer open a paypal or ebay dispute??

if paypal then you should have got the email on June 17th to say that a buyer on paypal can now open a dispute up to 180 days.

from paypal help pages.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment (or 45 days depending on when you made the purchase ie after June 17th) if:

• You don’t receive the item
  • You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hassy786
Contributor
Contributor

Okay thanks for the reply, you are correct and I was not aware of the changes, but that's my fault. Thanks for the reply. What should I do now? Should I reply to the buyer and ask him what the problem with the item is? It is a bit weird that they open the case so late after buying? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes it does seem odd especially as he said it was an unauthorised payment before.

So it was defo item not described and not a chargeback via his bank or c.c.??

If the former then paypal do "normally" find in the buyers favour HOWEVER the onus is on the buyer to return the item to the seller trackable at their own expense before you have to refund.

So if you can reply i would say you do not think the item was misdescribed and if it was why did it take so much time to decide this and then wait for paypal decision. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hassy786
Contributor
Contributor

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for a reply. I do not mind receiving the item back from the buyer to be honest so long as it is in exactly the same condition as when I sent it out. It was sold under its value anyway so if it is in exactly the same condition I will just resell it. I have honestly done nothing wrong and I am hoping to god I do not receive A) nothing or B) some item that wasn't even mine or an item that in different condition to the one I sent out. I will reply to the buyer now and hopefully we can sort it out. Thanks for all the help.  

Login to Me Too

morop
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a person stating that they had an unauthorised payment they did not inform  e bay or pay pal i was sent an e mail on 10th september 2015 to say this person was disputing payment he bought the a bag on may 31st 2015 which is roughly 110 days ago paid for via pay pal same day then sent positive feedback to ebay.I have contacted e bay they have confirmed payment via e bay and also positive feedback as a result they have blocked this buyer from using e bay.I have sent e mails to this person without getting a reply.Then I phoned pay pal first call i was assured this would be looked into second call to pay pal  told them I have tryed to contact this person without success informed the advisor I could not get into the complaint to put the notes in saying I had contacted him was assured by this advisor that he could also not get in and would get his manager to fix next e mail stating payment had been made to this person and the case was now closed have tryed to talk to advisors last person I spoke to informed me that the case can no longer be appealed as it is closed have asked for a manager to call so far no response.I have read your responses to other people and I was hoping you could clarify a couple of things for me. Can this person still dispute this payment given that it was payed via pay pal and it is 110 days later and he only informed his bank not pay pal or e bay Can pay pal open and close a case in less than 24 hours and give this person a full refund.I have also informed pay pal verbaly and in an e mail that I wont be paying this money can they take money from my bank without me moving some over as it stands at the moment there is an outstanding negative balance which they want me to clear can I stop them from claiming money from my bank  Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

A person can open a dispute on paypal up to 180 days now, this apparently was to bring it into line with credit card chargebacks.

A buyer is allowed to go straight to his bank or credit card if he wants to but the onus would be on them to decide the claim and not paypal.

Normally if its a chargeback or unauthorised purchase you would be reimbursed if the buyer got refunded if you were covered by seller protection.

The fact you were not reimbursed means that you must have not fulfilled that criteria so your best bet is to read up on seller protection to see where you lost out.

You do have a business account do you??

Paypal cannot take a payment from your funding source without your authorisation but they can put your account into negative and limit it.

Also if you buy something you authorise payment to deduct the funds from your bank account to pay the seller BUT if you have a neg balance they are allowed to take enough to cover this at the same time  !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

morop
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the info no I do not have a business account I am not a business person. I am still not clear as to why I would not be covered by seller protection as I do not sell that much and not on a regular basis also this person paid via PayPal for the item why could pay pal not just look at the account of this person and see that he paid for the item,.I feel This is some sort of scam and pay pal have allowed this person to get away with this so therefore they are part of it I will be looking into this further and get answers from pay pal, thank you once again for your Imput.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.