Double payment for same item

smashedbooboo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have just checked my bank account and there are 2 payments for the same item,

Both for 32.00gbp  but only one showing on paypal statement.  So the same payment has gone through twice.

This has put me overdrawn. Do I contact my bank or is this a paypal issue to get a refund on one of the 

payments.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
58 REPLIES 58

marksmanross
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks so shall i sit back and check balance in a few days or get in touch with one of them 

Login to Me Too

altctrl
Contributor
Contributor

think it will be fine to wait to be honest...its a shame they dont send an email to customers affected though as it might be an issue if someone goes O.D. on their account....lots have been affected but goodness knows how many dont even know!

Login to Me Too

stu55

This has happened to me too - I paid for an item for £11.26 and it came out of my bank twice. It shows a double debit of £11.26 on the bank statement, but only once on the PayPal transactions.
I phoned thier customer service who said they were aware of the problem and that the second debit would be refunded to me in 3 to 5 days time.
How do they know how many people have been charged duplicate amounts when it doesn't even show up in the PayPal transactions? And will this happen again?
This has left me feeling very uneasy about using PayPal, and I think we should get an immediate refund rather than waiting 3 to 5 days. It would also be beneficial to everyone affected if we could get some reassurance that this problem will not happen again.

Login to Me Too

nat0180
New Community Member

I have also been charged twice, it is only showing once on my paypal account but have looked at my online bank statement and the money has been removed twice, I'm not happy about this but without making an international phonecall to paypal and spending more money I don't know what I can do, it is putting me off using paypal to be honest, very inconvenient.

Login to Me Too

pez555
Contributor
Contributor

Am very glad i have seen this thread. I registered just to post the same thing.

same thing has happened to me, didnt notice until tonight when i checked my account online.

bought said item on tuesday 19th, amount came out of my bank twice on friday 22nd. ive sent an email but we all know how TERRIBLE PayPal customer service is so i dont expect a reply until the 12th of never,

absolutely scandalous that PayPal can have access to stealing money from our accounts this easily. Granted the amount that was taken twice from me was small, it still could be very bad for customers whom have spent large amounts. PayPal should be extremely ashamed of themselves, infact i am almost very tempted to write into watchdog about this.

Really put me off using PayPal again.

Login to Me Too

pez555
Contributor
Contributor

also, i refuse to phone up PayPal as it is an international number - the phone call will cost more than my item was worth. 

Should people who havent spoke to PayPal phone them up? or will the money automatically be credited to our accounts and we shouldnt worry? i have sent an email also just to be safe.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PayPal are aware of this problem and are contacting those it has effected and advising they will be refunding.

PayPal does not have an international phone number you can call it on the 0208 number or an 0870 number where calls cost 5p a minute or in some cases free from BT land lines.

Login to Me Too

marksmanross
Contributor
Contributor

just spoke with paypal and mentioned it happened to me and also said I know alot of people this has happened to don't worry no need to phone they know everyone who placed an order on the date and everyone will be refunded hopefully within this week hope this helps thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi guys,

I think it's safe to say this has not been PayPals greatest moment, it's the type of thing that leads to customers losing confidence completely in the system and all we can really do is apologise and try and fix it as soon as possible.

This banking error seems to have affected  payments made on the PayPal system on the 19th from roughly just before 7PM to just after 9PM. All duplicates are being refunded back to your bank balance and should be there this week. When the payment comes through it would be great if someone could post on here and let us know they've got their funds back.

Login to Me Too

alison7195
New Community Member

ok so what if pay pal is showing 2 payment too??? it should have been charged only once so frustrating

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.